SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 of my 4 stainless stanchions have corroded and fused to the aluminum toerail including the nuts and bolts. I would like any advice on removing them and either reattaching them or replacing them. I''ve read that Tef-gel would prevent this from occuring. Thank you for responding.

BallastBoy

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Stainless steel and aluminum corrode because they are disimular metals. They must be kept separated as much as possible.
One way to accomplish this is to make a thin "gasket" of some non-conducting material to place between the two metals. I''ve used electrical tape on the back side of stainless fittings bolted to the boom/mast and it seems to do the job. Coat attaching bolts with an anti-seize compound when putting everything back together.

Jim

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
TRY DURALAC. PRACTICAL SAILOR SWEARS BY IT. I HAVE USED IT ALL OVER MY BOAT AND CAN REMOVE SCREWS THAT HAVE BEEN IN FOR 4 YEARS.
ERIC

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Any thoughts on how to seperate them without doing major damage to the toe rail? I suppose I could drill out the bolts, but how about seperating the actual SS stanchion base from the aluminum toe rail? Could I cut or chisel them apart?
I would assume that replacing them would be a smart move for safety''s sake anyway.

BB

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don''t know about getting them apart but when you go to put the new ones on use lanacote(don''t be stingy with it either). Its another anti-corrosive that comes in a spray and a paste. Goop it all over everything and you''re good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts