SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When people share stories of their cruising adventures, they rarely share information such as marina fees and mooring fees. What have been your favorite ports? How long did you stay? What are the monthly rates?
Thanks for sharing!
PV

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
When people share stories of their cruising adventures, they rarely share information such as marina fees and mooring fees. What have been your favorite ports? How long did you stay? What are the monthly rates?
Thanks for sharing!
PV
The web-site ActiveCaptain has excellent information and reviews that you might find useful. You'll have to register but it's free and easy and the interactive charts/cruising guide is very worth while.

Reactions: LilBabyPenguin

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Errr I stay out of marinas and never take moorings.

Here is the reason why I avoid moorings.

Picture of a frayed rope.

·
Registered
23,490 Posts
The only folks that make much use of marinas are those that have their boat there for the long term. Exceptions are regattas and flotillas that may arrange an arrival party for a few days. Suffice it to say, they can be expensive, but I find the short term rates are pretty reasonable and the longer term/seasonal rates are high. I think they like turnover. Here's a random website for a nice place in the BVI.

Nanny Cay Resort, Marina & Boatyard - British Virgin Islands - Marina Rates

Many/most anchorages are filling up with moorings at $30ish per night, as I recall. You can still anchor, if you have the right tackle and get there early enough.

The other issue is how long you are actually allowed to stay. Most get 30 days max in the BVI, regardless of where you are from. The USVI is variable, depending on whether you are a US citizen.

·
cruising all I can
917 Posts
I'd love to sail to USVI,but after 7-10 yrs. sailing the 32'CC bayliner buccaneer up and down the east coast. I don't think I want to try to take it from FL to USVI, just not feeling that lucky.
I think I would prefer something more sea kindly. maybe an old Pearson or such. the Hull shape of the bayliner isn't very comfortable in nasty seas, great at anchor, roomy, head room etc.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
I'd love to sail to USVI,but after 7-10 yrs. sailing the 32'CC bayliner buccaneer up and down the east coast. I don't think I want to try to take it from FL to USVI, just not feeling that lucky.
I think I would prefer something more sea kindly. maybe an old Pearson or such. the Hull shape of the bayliner isn't very comfortable in nasty seas, great at anchor, roomy, head room etc.
Perhaps you'd feel more lucky on your bayliner if you had it insured. :D

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
The only folks that make much use of marinas are those that have their boat there for the long term. Exceptions are regattas and flotillas that may arrange an arrival party for a few days. Suffice it to say, they can be expensive, but I find the short term rates are pretty reasonable and the longer term/seasonal rates are high. I think they like turnover. Here's a random website for a nice place in the BVI.

Nanny Cay Resort, Marina & Boatyard - British Virgin Islands - Marina Rates

Many/most anchorages are filling up with moorings at $30ish per night, as I recall. You can still anchor, if you have the right tackle and get there early enough.

The other issue is how long you are actually allowed to stay. Most get 30 days max in the BVI, regardless of where you are from. The USVI is variable, depending on whether you are a US citizen.
All good points. The $30/night moorings are in the BVI. There are very few moorings to rent legally in the USVI. The 30 day max stay in the BVI is easy enough to reset for US citizens by simply sailing over to St John, a couple of miles, to clear into the USVI. Then you can sail back to the BVI the next day and get another 30 days. I know of some people who did this for 7 months without issue.

·
Registered
23,490 Posts
.......The 30 day max stay in the BVI is easy enough to reset for US citizens by simply sailing over to St John, a couple of miles, to clear into the USVI. Then you can sail back to the BVI the next day and get another 30 days. I know of some people who did this for 7 months without issue.
Good to know. Thanks. I've not been for more than 10 days at a time, but my wife insisted there had to be a way around this. I've seen the condos/townhouses for sale in Nanny Cay and wondered what you would do, if you owned real estate, but could not stay more than 30 days. Wondered if there were different rules for owners.

Anyway, good to know its easy to maneuver around the limit. Staying in BVI for 30 straight days would get monotonous anyway. Might as well head over to USVI or St. Martin for a spell.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Might as well head over to USVI or St. Martin for a spell.
Hmm BVI to St Maarten is not trivial thing.

You are crossing the Anegada passage. Lots of boats get duffed up trying to do that in less than optimum conditions.

·
Registered
23,490 Posts
Hmm BVI to St Maarten is not trivial thing.......
Roger that. I'm referring to a time when time is all I got! 10 years from now, if I'm lucky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts