SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Another option.. If you are tech savy...

You could build your own VPS that does the exact same thing as Sailmail, Ocens, ect. Those services are easily replicated using open source engines to process the incoming e-mail. There is also a great proxy that will squish websites for a much better surfing experience.

The best part.. It would only cost about $10/month and you could use the VPS for other services..

·
Registered
180 Posts
No no.. Not a VPN... A VPS... It stands for Virtual Private Server.. Its essentially a Linux server hosted in the cloud.

I'm not just talking out my butt.. I have created a VPS that provides the same services as Ocens, as well as other services I found usefull (actually one of the other services is a VPN). I don't use it on a boat yet, but I have used it with both a sat phone and my standard cell phone (keeps monthly bandwidth low).

Of course.. You need to have a fairly good working knowledge of Linux to get this working..

·
Registered
180 Posts
"It stands for Virtual Private Server.. Its essentially a Linux server hosted in the cloud. "
So a VPS is just a virtual machine (VM) running a Linux server and hosted somewhere in the cloud. Meaning, hosted on real hardware in some unknown place with an internet connection. Or not?

I remember TELEX. Knew a business that insisted on using it into the very late 1980's, because the TELEX system kept an uncorruptible and objective copy of all messages (so they said) in case there was ever any question about a message being real or faked. They didn't trust that newfangled fax technology, and fixed their computer virus problem by just not using the one PC someone had bought. Honest.

I do miss the TELEX bells though. When NORAD went "oops" and sent out the five-bell code asking everyone to sign off the air in the early 70's...^G^G just never has been properly implemented in HTML, has it?
Yes that is exactly what it is.. There are a bunch of good providers our there (I use RamNode).

Unfortunately I can't comment on TELEX as it was WAY before my time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.