SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're looking at buying a 2001 Hunter 32, but all the lines look like they need replacing. Could anyone give a rough estimate of how much it would cost to replace all the lines? There's only a furling main and jib. The estimates can be very "rough". Thanks for yiur help!

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
$500 to $2000 depending on the quality of line used and how good you are about purchasing short cutoffs.

Halyards tend to be the most expensive lines since they benefit the most from low stretch designs and are also probably the longest lines on your boat. I wouldn't use anything less than Samson XLS Extra (about $1.50-$2/foot in halyard sizes on that boat) or NE Ropes VPC (about the same).

For sheets and the jib furling line you can go cheaper with Samson LS (around 80 cents per foot in the sizes that you'd need).

·
Registered
170 Posts
There's a Hunter 336 on here:
Cajun Ropes
with a price for a full set at $1100 and change.
A 32 has got to be close or slightly less!

·
Banned
325 Posts
I'm in the process of replacing all of mine on a Watkins 29. Just doing a line or two at a time. I'm getting my lines from sailrite.com, New England sta-set 3/8, its a $1.10 per foot. Just replacing the worst ones first. I should come out less than $1000 when I'm done.

·
Registered
587 Posts
wow......big boats big money.......2 halyards run to cockpit, a mainsheet, 2 genoa lines, single line reefing line, outhaul and mainsail downhaul and a roller furling line on my C22 was less than $500.

·
2,309 Posts
The Novatech XLE line that Cajun Ropes sells is not very good for sailboats. It has much higher stretch than Samson LS at about the same cost.

Samson LS Yacht Braid (2.6% stretch at 20%, 4,900lbs breaking in 7/16"):
Product

Cajun/Novatech XLE (5.3% stretch at 20%, 6200lbs breaking in 7/16"):
XLE Performer | Novabraid

Since the breaking strengths are different you can look at stretch of XLE at 15% of breaking strength (about 4.5%) to compare against LS.

Note that Cajun Ropes doesn't publish stretch anywhere on their website. They hide that data to make the line look a whole lot better than it is by only comparing strength numbers.

LS is the lowest quality line that I'd use for running rigging. I wouldn't use it for applications where low stretch really matters such as halyards and reefing lines (use XLS Extra or VPC for those lines). It is a good budget choice for sheets, especially if you use oversized sheets for comfort.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
What Alex says is a good thumbnail. When we purchased Victoria, we replaced 90% of the running rigging for about $500. So double that for 2014. Learn to splice and you will save a lot. It's not that difficult.

·
Registered
147 Posts
VPC is a good value price versus low stretch. Also has a nice lay, does well on the winches. I'm using it on halyards and recently my mainsheet. I'll probably also convert my jibsheets soon. Very happy with VPC.

Beware Sta-Set-X. Horrible lay (too stiff), does not run well, etc.

I'm also starting to use a lot of dyneema when hands are not involved. Cunningham, vang, outhaul purchases, etc.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I like VPC as well and some good deals can be found on eBay. It isn't difficult to splice but requires a somewhat different technique.

I agree about Sta-Set-X, it's also very difficult to splice. I replaced my main & jib halyards last year and will do the spin sometime.

Sta-Set is good line for other control lines where stretch isn't as much a concern. Easy to splice with traditional double braid technique.

·
2,309 Posts
I didn't find Sta-Set X to be that hard to splice. It does like to jump out of self tailing winches though. It could be a good mid-budget line for halyards since it is fairly low stretch.

I generally buy Samson over NE Ropes. The biggest supply store in Seattle (Fisheries Supply) has good pricing on Samson if you have a club account, and often has tons of it on the remnant racks. West Marine only has good pricing on NE Ropes if you catch their 40% off sale and might have 2 or 3 lines on the remnant racks.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Never buy any rope from west marine at retail. Even their 40% off sale is still more than what I charge for some NER line.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I didn't find Sta-Set X to be that hard to splice.
I didn't like the parallel core and the wrapping on Sta-Set X. I also find that the cover didn't seem to wear as well as others of similar age, but that's just an impression. Combined with the stiffness, it quickly became my all time least favorite line. Just my opinion - I'm sure that there are many advocates of the line that love it.

VPC was much easier to splice. I like that line a lot. Wears nicely and handles well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is an old thread, but this might benefit some folks.

Usually once a year West Marine has a 40% off cordage sale.
My boat uses a lot of 1/2" line for halyards, and sheets. I decided on using sta-set and wait for the sale. I did most of my running rigging (about 300' of line altogether) for under $300.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
For anyone up in my neck of the woods, I still have about 1000 ft of 1/2 and 3/8 each dacron samson braid new . Half price , 3/8 has blue thread in white other is soft lay white. Also a pile of new 5/8 3 strand dacron. When you have a gaffer you buy rolls of everything when price is right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts