SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suddenly have an opportunity to maybe move to the area for awhile, maybe for 5 years or so. Exact location is still unknown but knowing the new company founder, I'd think either east bay near Port Chicago or South bay.
Being from FL, I've been sailing awhile but never lived aboard. I've got no desire to own property in CA so maybe buy a 36' boat and live aboard. Something that size would seem huge compared to my 28'.
So, what sort of costs are there for slip fees for live aboards there?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I suddenly have an opportunity to maybe move to the area for awhile, maybe for 5 years or so. Exact location is still unknown but knowing the new company founder, I'd think either east bay near Port Chicago or South bay.
Being from FL, I've been sailing awhile but never lived aboard. I've got no desire to own property in CA so maybe buy a 36' boat and live aboard. Something that size would seem huge compared to my 28'.
So, what sort of costs are there for slip fees for live aboards there?
$600-800 a month with liveaboard premium are pretty usual for what I've seen, but the bigger hassle is the several-years-long waiting list for liveaboard permits, and each marina maintains their own. Change where you want to dock, start over in the waiting list. There's cheaper and shorter, but you'll want a shallow draft (6ft or less) and not mind either being 40 miles upriver from the Bay proper or on the landing pattern for major airports.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.