SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a quote to have the bottom VC17ed. 38feet with wing. $1500. $660 for the paint alone!

And I can't do it myself as the boat is 12 or so states away.

What are you guys paying for this at your marina?

thanks
MC

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
$660 sounds like 3 gallons of paint, which sounds approximately correct for a 38' boat. $200+ per gallon of bottom paint is typical for a higher end paint.

Labor here in Seattle is about $15/foot for 2 coats of bottom paint, which is $570 for your boat. However if you pay them for painting labor and buy the paint through them they usually give you the haul out for free, which saves about $250. Powerwashing ($3/foot) and environmental collection fee (fixed $80) normally add another couple hundred.

Overall the quote sounds a little higher than what I'd pay here, but not out of the ballpark.

If the costs include removing old paint (which around here requires tenting the boat) then $1660 sounds like a bargain.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow...this seems high to me...
Major factors you don't mention are:
  • How long is the boat in the water?
  • How old is the boat? (lots of hull under the water?)
  • How many coats of paint?
Around here (Port Dover, ON), we sail in fresh water, and are only in the water for 6 months at a time. VC17 is an annual event, and I put 2 thin coats on one year, then a single the next.
2 coats on a 35-foot '72 C&C only took 3 QUARTS, or about $180 worth of paint, and maybe 3 hours of my labor.

Again, not sure if this helps, but it's all I know.

Andy

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think we need more information..

Is the boat already on the hard..?

Is there any sanding or prep work required or just the paint application...?

What are they quoting you for the hourly labor rate...??

On My C22, way smaller I know, I had the bottom sanded and two coats of barrier paint and 3 coast of anti-fouling for just shy of $1,800 and that was 12 hours of labor at $95 an hour.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
just got a quote to have the bottom VC17ed. 38feet with wing. $1500. $660 for the paint alone!

And I can't do it myself as the boat is 12 or so states away.

What are you guys paying for this at your marina?

thanks
MC
You'd not get it in Auckland for that.

My boat is 44 ft standard keel and it cost me just a shade under that with me doing every bit of the job (excluding pressure wash) myself. So haul out, hardstand, pressure wash and materials was about NZ$1400.

IIRC, the last quote I got for the whole job on my boat (5 years ago) was somewhere around NZ$3500.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The boat is on the hard‚ the bottom has all ready been power washed and is in good shape WL is 35ft. The boat is a 2011 and always in fresh water

·
Registered
589 Posts
sounds like a lite scuff on the bottom and a few coats of paint, I'd say that quote is high.

They do need to move the stands around and come back and paint those areas but I'd say an hour to lightly scuff the bottom and 1.5 hrs for each of the two coats of paint, an hour to move the stands around and another hour for touch ups and that's 6 hours of labor at say $100 and you should be talking around $1,200 give or take

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you re-coating VC-17 or does the boat have something else on there now? VC-17 over previous VC-17 is a pretty easy process. No sanding required and only two coats are needed for fresh water. I use 7-8 quarts for a 47 foot boat so $660 is high. The paint costs $50-$55/quart depending on the source. I can't comment on the labor cost as I do it myself.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wow, exceedingly high. You can do it yourself with a foam roller. Wash bottom with water and soap. Let dry. Roll on VC 17 with foam roller from West Systems. Use 90% Isopropyl alcohol as an extender. VC-17 on sale last year for around $50/qt. You will need about 4 qts if you roll it on. Foam roller about $10. Masking tape, rags, paint pan, roller- $40 tops. Alternative is to use Petit SR21 which is the same stuff with a better anti-slime additive. Worst case about $250 out of pocket and an afternoon of your labor for the job. For the $1350 difference you could fly out for the day to do the job.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"For the $1350 difference you could fly out for the day to do the job. "
Just what I was thinking, a weekend of Quality Time with the boat. Unless the yard contract says no DIY and you have to use their contractors, their labor, their materials. It isn't unusual to be a captive that way.
Interlux says VC17m can be applied over last years' coat with just a washing, no sanding needed, and sells at $60/quart from some real stores. Might be worth asking the yard how they arrived at that price and giving them the opportunity to say they made a mistake [ahem] on the quote.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts