SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time of a year. I am considering whether or not to repaint the bottom on my boat (or let current paint be for another season). It's in decent shape and just a little over a year old. How much can I really expect out of ablative paint?

What does your yard charge for bottom painting ("sand and paint", one coat of Micron CSC or whatever ablative you use). I am interested in any numbers to compare and see if it may be worth painting elsewhere later (may be at the end of a season instead)?

·
Registered
846 Posts
The time of all see life attaching to thre bottom is the spring and the beginning of summer. The bottom might be clean this time of the year but growth might be expected in the coming months. It is a better idea to paint the bottom.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a Catalina 27 in San Diego and I'm getting ready to do the same thing, 'Tis the Season" I suppose. I've been quoted from $740 to $950 or ABOUT $30 a foot here locally for the bottom paint "package" including haul-out, power-spray and 2 coats of paint up to the waterline.

Brooks :)

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Brak,
Check out Pirate's den Marina up the Potomac River. The savings might be worth the trip.

They charged me $475 for haul out, power wash and sand w/ 80 grit, 2 coats, and splash. I supplied my own paint b/c I'm picky. Some other places wanted over $1000, even using paint I brought with me. 25' boat.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,439 Posts
We're on the Chesapeake and plan to go with every other year, as WouldShoulda said. Just as a data point, I put 2 coats of West Marine CPP+ ablative on before last season. Pulled the boat in early Oct for a looksee and it was clean and looked to have plenty of paint. Sticking with the plan.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My boat is on the hard right now and marina where I am at quoted me a little over $800 to paint the bottom. This is what I was wondering about - including haulout and launch this would have been a much better deal.

What are the chances of "reactivating" ablative paint (which is reatively new and, at least visually, in a good shape)?

Financially, I'd rather not tie painting the bottom to this marina if I could - if I can find a place later in the season to do it less expensively. Bottom paint is bottom paint everywhere. :)

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
HHN is charging $23 per foot for Micron Extra, excluding haul & blocking... needless to say I do it myself.

What are the chances of "reactivating" ablative paint (which is reatively new and, at least visually, in a good shape)?
Most (if not all?) ablatives are multiseason, no need to reactivate. I know allot of folks go 3 years between coats on the bay. I do a new coat every other year.

HTH

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HHN is charging $23 per foot for Micron Extra, excluding haul & blocking... needless to say I do it myself.

Most (if not all?) ablatives are multiseason, no need to reactivate. I know allot of folks go 3 years between coats on the bay. I do a new coat every other year.

HTH
That's what I was hoping for. I had two coats put on last year. Well then, I think I'll just wing it till next season and next time I shop for a winter storage, I'll ask about bottom paint price too :)

$23/foot would not be too terrible by comparison. I really hate dealing with bottom paint. I don't mind painting itself, it's the sanding that gets me.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,439 Posts
Though any sanding can be nasty (and toxic) with bottom paint, ablative really only needs a light sand to rough up the surface, IIRC.

·
Registered
79 Posts
brak,
SF Bay $33 a foot out and in the same day. Caveat in the ad is that your bottom needs to be fair and regularly maintained. Not sure how they define that.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
brak,
SF Bay $33 a foot out and in the same day. Caveat in the ad is that your bottom needs to be fair and regularly maintained. Not sure how they define that.
That's what got me this year - I expect $30+ a foot for a paint job with haul out and back in, but this is a separate price for painting only - which seems kinda unusual.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Ablative paints seem to last more than one season. By painting the bottom with different colors in different years, you can see how long it is until the color beneath starts to show. We use 5 quarts of Micron CXC on our bottom each year, and the price of that continues to rise. I expect it will be about $160/gal this year.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,436 Posts
Our marina, Oak Harbor I believe still charges $10/ft to sand & paint, you supply the paint (actually they sell several paints at competitive prices)
$6 (non slip holders) to haul, pressure wash, block, and tarp. Storage rates depend on how long.

I have easily been getting 2 years out of our paint, Micron CSC, leaving the boat in the H2O year round. Thank god considering the cost.

BTW, Bacon's in Annapolis has a great sale on paint I hear, Interlux Ultra Kote (copper based) for $189.95 ...call for details

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Our marina, Oak Harbor I believe still charges $10/ft to sand & paint, you supply the paint (actually they sell several paints at competitive prices)
$6 (non slip holders) to haul, pressure wash, block, and tarp. Storage rates depend on how long.
Good to know. We are moving to Magothy river this season, so we'll be close enough to make this a convenient location. I think I visited Oak Harbor actually. Do they have winter storage for non-slip holders?

·
Registered
101 Posts
The new laws regarding run-off are going to drive prices up. The local yards here are installing reclamation systems that are expensive to do right.

I urge sailors to do the right thing and not make decisions about service providers based solely on dollars.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
There are two types of ablative paint. The less expensive types are good for a single season and must be repainted after haulout. The more expensive types retain their anti-fouling properties during haulout and continue to work after relaunch. The later type is typically referred to as copolymer ablative (like Micron CSC). Check what's on the bottom .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts