SailNet Community banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey,

What does unstep / step include? Did they remove the sails and disconnect the electronics when they unstepped the mast? When the mast was stepped did they tune it and pin the rigging? Did they put the sails back on, etc?

The yard that I use is low cost, but I have to do everything - remove the sails, take the boom off, disconnect the electronics, etc. In the spring they install the mast and get the rig 'close' but I need to put the sails on, connect the electronics, tune the rig, etc.

So, your price may be good or it may be high depending on what the yard did.

Barry
I pulled the sails.

They pulled the boom, unplugged the wiring to the Nav lights, unscrewed the co-ax connector to the VHF, removed the spreaders and boots, removed the VHF antenna, removed the windex, tied the shrouds and stays up with twine (or the halyards).

While it was in the rack, I replaced the Co-ax for the VHF, replaced a halyard (learned how to splice too! :)), and ran the lines through the cheek blocks for my Lazy-Jacks (which are AWESOME):D.

In the spring they reattached the spreaders & boots (one of which needs to be re-taped), installed the new VHF antenna, re-installed the windex, re-stepped the mast, reattached the shrouds and stays (no cotter pins though), plugged in the Nav lights, and re-attached the boom.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No other electronics on the mast or stays (radar/wind indicators/etc) on my mast.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I live on the west coast and having a mast pulled is cheap enough ($120 total for out/in) to include it as part of the regular haul out.It gives you a chance to inspect, replace and/or repair your rigging, halyards fittings,wiring, etc as well as add new stuff (in my case also sand, varnish and paint). A lot of important stuff up the mast gets over looked...this is a very important part of boat maintenance, and you can be a lot more thorough on the ground.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I just stumbled on my old thread (I am the OP). My boat is still in Narragansett Bay.

In the 7 years since the OP I have moved my boat about 8 miles from where I had the mast steped and unsteped for $325 each way.
THIS year it has cost me $940:
  • Crane Charge: $150
  • Unstep Mast: $425
  • Store Mast: $141
  • Remove and Store Roller Furler: $210
  • Environmental Surcharge: $14
I removed the boom and the sails, AND helped the guys with the crane.

In the spring ithey'll charge me an additional $575 for the crane and re-step. I am sharing this information so that others will know what they can expect.

Not all pirates wear eye patches.
:oops::mad::whistle:

Reactions: MastUndSchotbruch

·
12,221 Posts
I just stumbled on my old thread (I am the OP). My boat is still in Narragansett Bay.

In the 7 years since the OP I have moved my boat about 8 miles from where I had the mast steped and unsteped for $325 each way.

In the spring ithey'll charge me an additional $575 for the crane and re-step. I am sharing this information so that others will know what they can expect.

:pirateraft:
Ouch

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

:pirateraft:
I JUST received the bill for re-stepping the mast; $450. Bringing the TOTAL to 1439.53! More than double what I had paid when I started this thread!💩

Included in this total was all of the above
  • Step Mast: $290.50
  • Environmental Surcharge: 8.81
I disassembled the rig and stored the spreaders, and reassembled the rig and re-attached and rigged the boom in the spring. In order to help justify this expense (and this was ridiculous!) I re-wired the mast, changed the anchor light to an LED with a photo sensor, and I replaced all the standing rigging. The cost of the standing rigging was cheaper than dropping and re-stepping the mast!

Reactions: MastUndSchotbruch

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
I just hauled and blocked my boat for 24 hr for some quick maintenance. Could not stay in the slings. $1,000. Robbery. Yes, because they can.

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Old soul
4,553 Posts
I've mostly done it a DIY yards, so the cost has been minimal. Your cost does sound exorbitant to me, but like others say, I suspect it's just capitalism operating as it is designed.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Interesting question. I think they charge for un-stepping.... and then again to re-step. Yards will publish a price list for typical projects like bottom paining / LOA F or waxing / LOA F or stepping / lin ft of mast. Whatever it is.... it's too much!

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
Our marina has quoted pricing for boats within size ranges, for things like waxing. Once you get over a specific LOA, which I think it around 45 ft, you pay time and materials.

I’ve never understood the variable pricing by the foot for the travel lift. Exact same time and equipment for every haul. At least for those that fit in the same lift.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts