SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like we might be visiting (flying to) Costa Rica this March.

I would love to check out the marinas and sailing opportunities while we are there.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
21,767 Posts
When I read your post, I thought to myself that I'd be surprised there were any worth visiting. I have a niece, who spent a year or two living on a Pacific Coast beach, with her husband. Very primitive. My wife went to visit. Beautiful, but primitive. However, I googled marinas just for kicks and notice that CR is making a concerted effort to build new, modern marinas with a stated desire to become a world class cruising destination. That's interesting. Let us know if you visit one.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I read your post, I thought to myself that I'd be surprised there were any worth visiting. I have a niece, who spent a year or two living on a Pacific Coast beach, with her husband. Very primitive. My wife went to visit. Beautiful, but primitive. However, I googled marinas just for kicks and notice that CR is making a concerted effort to build new, modern marinas with a stated desire to become a world class cruising destination. That's interesting. Let us know if you visit one.
I read that too and am intrigued.

I'll let you know.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Hi David,

It has been about 20 years since I visited the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. I have no idea how much it has changed in that time. From preliminary searches it seems like not so much change. When we were there near Quepos the only boats there were charter fishing boats for hire that go after bill fish - a popular tourista activity. Marina Pez Vela Tournaments - Sport Fishing in Costa Rica
I would check out the Guanacast region with it's somewhat protected large bay. There may be some sailing there but I'd still guess that most on the water activity is fishing related.
In any event I highly recommend seeing Manuel Antonio national park which is near Quepos. The wildlife there was pretty stunning. I'd also recommend visiting Vulcan Arenal (active volcano). Driving there was interesting and if you don't mind the occasional earthquake it is a beautiful country. Some Spanish language may come in very handy senor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts