SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't use Chinese cotter pins. I unwittingly conducted a perfect objective product evaluation. After retuning the rig last fall, I decided to use new cotter pins so as not to deal with the bent and twisted old ones. My shrouds use two sizes, 1/8 and 3/32 so I bought a pack of each, same brand, same store, same price. This winter I noted the 1/8 pins were litertally dripping rust down the turnbuckle, yet the 3/32 ones were fine. So I go back and look at the packages and find the 1/8 made in USA and the 3/32 made in China. As I removed the Chinese pins they broke in half, not where they were bent, but inside the screw bolt. I guess they would have eventually just fallen out, so I should be thankful for the dripping rust as it provided a timely warning of impending failure.
John

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
first, if your rigging is stainless steel, you would probably be better off not mixing metals. second, you really aren't supposed to re-use cotter pins.

I use bronze cotter pins from Jamestown Distributors. They are expensive, but they bend more easily, and they are easier to re-use.

Also, they look cool.

Best Regards,

e

.::.

·
Registered
701 Posts
so both are crap. made in US rusted, made in China breaks.
I use bronze wire to lock my shroud bottle screw. as its always dry there's no issue with dis-similiar metal problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree, being above the water line there shouldn't be any problems.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bronze is about 220 on the galvanic scale - about in the middle - which is why it is often used in marine applications - it tends to get along "pretty well" with most other metals on a boat.

Stainless Steel comes in about 100 different "flavors" - some are less than bronze on the scale, some more - and of course passivated SS is generally not a problem.

I would advise against Aluminum cotter pins, though.

also zinc. Stay away from zinc cotter pins.

Best Regards,

e

.::.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.