SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're a 20-something couple with our coastal cruising license, looking to be a crew for the month of December, 2009. We're trying to get some hours as part of a long-term plan to sell it all and sail!

He is a Firefighter, hard worker, and smart guy, she is an Environmental Analyst and personal trainer. We have lots of motivation and energy!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
What is a coastal cruising licence?

Some idea of where in the world you are might be helpful!!!

welcome to sailnet.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
What is a coastal cruising licence?

Some idea of where in the world you are might be helpful!!!

welcome to sailnet.
I suspect she means that they took the ASA coastal cruising course.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
US27inKS is correct, the ASA Coastal Cruising License.

We are located in Canada but willing to travel pretty much anywhere to meet up with a boat.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
The Advanced Coastal Cruising certificate is just that, a certificate of completion of the ASA course. It's not a license for anything, no matter what you were told.

Not that there's anything wrong with obtaining ASA certifications, I have a few myself and they are a good thing. What I don't have is a license. There's a big difference.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
IF you have your ASA Advanced Coastal, why not charter a bareboat???

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
emily
Licencing is a sore subject among many. Most oppose requiring licencing for boaters. So there is a big difference between cert & licence.
Your certificate aids you in getting bareboat chartering access that others might not be allowed. It is mainly for the bareboat chartering industry. Even there it is not always a requirement but it does help.

Again, where are you, or where do you want to go get on the water for a month? What about dogs suggestion to charter a bareboat? That is one of the major reasons to get ASA cert

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
If you're nervous about bareboating, why not get a captain for the first two days and then, after getting used to the boat, bareboat for the rest of the week. While this is more expensive than crewing for a month, you're probably going to learn more bareboating than you are crewing. It is also something you can guarantee will happen when you want it to, rather than being at the mercies of the weather and the boat owner.

Trips you crew on don't always happen when they're supposed to for all sorts of reasons.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
emily
Licencing is a sore subject among many. Most oppose requiring licencing for boaters. So there is a big difference between cert & licence.
Your certificate aids you in getting bareboat chartering access that others might not be allowed. It is mainly for the bareboat chartering industry. Even there it is not always a requirement but it does help.
The other side of this is that some guys who do have a license (eg USCG 100 ton Masters License) get offended when someone refers to themselves as "licensed" by ASA. They worked long and hard to get that license, but some have forgot what it's like to be new and confused by the terminology.

I wanted to make sure I got her on the straight and narrow before some grumpy old guy ripped into her for claiming to be licensed for something.:D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I wanted to make sure I got her on the straight and narrow before some grumpy old guy ripped into her for claiming to be licensed for something.:D
All the license nonsense aside, the real question here is exactly who is the "grumpy old guy", John or xort? :laugher

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Billy-

That'd be Bubb, Boasun or Sway... :)

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Emily,
Ya'll looking for experience or a paid position.
If experience only, are you looking to help pay for food etc..

I'm not looking for crew, just helping you tell your story (I am looking for folks to do my bottom job, apply at CHEAPLABOR.COM)

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Listen to yourself...

Take the good suggestions, like bareboating after you get a little experience. Or considering that you have a whole year...check the market, there are a zillion boats for sale at unbelievably low prices, and buy an oldie but goodie and sail away. "Go for it!"

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Emily,
Ya'll looking for experience....
If experience only, are you looking to help pay for food etc..
No offense Chuckles, but who would want the experience of eating with a skinny, hairless cat with big ears and sunglasses? :eek: :D
At least I can quote a previous entry properly :)

So that's skinny, hairless cat with big ears, sunglasses and I can hit the button. Some people like the button part.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts