SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,841 Posts
Fugitive British couple who 'led champagne lifestyle' may have starved to death on stolen yacht | Mail Online

Actually they probably died from dehydration long before they starved to death. I say the same thing about flying.
Never came close to starving or dehydration on a flight.

Doesn't sound like they new how to sail, and went to see because they liked canapes and Champagne. Doesn't sound like the coastal voyage lived up to their expectations. The interesting part is most of the comments in the article expressed sympathy for the people.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Wow! That's a nutty story. At first I thought it was some other dude I came across on another site. What a lousy way to kick.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
While the story is odd but interesting, The article leaves out a lot of facts.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
darwin at work...

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
When you get on a boat and go out to sea you better have a strong will to survive. The same kind of will when you go hunting into the forest. Which I use to do without a compass or a map... always made my way back to my vehicle every time. But then I guess that is a strong sense of Direction.
But when you are offshore for awhile. You better know how to feed yourself and obtain water when your tanks are dry... And it is the latter part that may have did them in. You need water and in hot climates you need it everyday.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Gets plastered and tries out his mating displays on all the women. Huxley has to bring him home in a wheelbarrow.
Oh THAT guy. Yeah I remember him. Came to last year's Christmas party dressed as a tortoise. Drank gin and root-beer all night and ended up doing some whacked out bird calls while humping an end table. Jeez what a loser.

And he gives out awards?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well, if you're going to starve or dehydrate to death , I suppose it's a more pleasant death in shorts and a polo shirt, aboard a beautiful sailboat with a great view, rather than propped up next to a dumpster, wearing some dirty, sweat-stained clothes, in some back alley off of Wall Street.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I read the story and am unmoved. Two leeching thieves encounter karma; my eyes are dry. I wonder if Alex on Giulietta knows whether the owner of the stolen boat ever got it back. Talk about a detailing job.

·
Emerging Sailor
46 Posts
I agre with Valiente. Seriously. They were thieves at least and drug addicts at worst. While I wouldn't say they got what they deserved (there's no justice in a horrible death like that), they certainly made all the choices that led them to this disaster. This had less to do with leaving unprepared and more to do with two thieves running from the law.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'd point out that if they had the proper knowledge and basic skills, that building a solar still of a sort would have been fairly simple given the basic materials that are found on most sailboats.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I read the story and am unmoved. Two leeching thieves encounter karma; my eyes are dry.
Egggsactly...Over their careers of criminal activity, how many lives have been subjected to the pain and suffering left in their wakes? I only wish they had a brethren, ohh, say like a Barnard Madoff, as crew on their little adventure.

I can just see it now. :rolleyes: (Start dream sequence) While on board the yacht to Hell, the threesome, two weeks after the canapes and champagne have run out, raise crystal glasses filled to the rim with the last of the seawater and urine in a toast to a 'fabulous run' on OP's labor. With death close at hand, and just before being piped aboard...the words "Aye Capt'n, three more souls for eternal service on the 'Black Pearl" were heard by all three. Just before their last breaths had passed, Madoff faced "there's nothing to buy in Hell", while Ms. Arthurs - Chegini looked lovingly into the eyes of her true love, Mr. Clarke, and thru parched and urine stained lips said, "Peter, you're such a Dick". (end dream sequence and start their little dance in Hell).

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,841 Posts
Surrounded by water but nothing to drink....
You mean, "water water everywhere and not a drop to drink" from the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Really the death is the fault of the boats owners. If the boat has been properly stocked with champagne they could be living the life they deserved instead of their tragic end.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
You mean, "water water everywhere and not a drop to drink" from the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Really the death is the fault of the boats owners. If the boat has been properly stocked with champagne they could be living the life they deserved instead of their tragic end.
You mean:

"Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink."

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'd point out that if they had the proper knowledge and basic skills, that building a solar still of a sort would have been fairly simple given the basic materials that are found on most sailboats.
Steven Callahan spent 76 days adrift in that ocean............Preparation, folks.
Callahan never panicked and never gave up.
But than he never was much of a party animal. Still isn't.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts