SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody direct me to a link where I might find downloadable coastal plotting exercises? The time has come to transfer my wife from the black gang to the deck department.
Thanks.

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean with dividers, parallel rules and a, what's the name of that thing???.... Oh...a COMPASS? :)

Here's one I found by googling "navigation vectors":https://www.ion.org/outreach/upload/lesson2.pdf
Thank you. I am absolutely terrible at internet searches. It probably has to do with thinking of things as landing ship tank, Pistol, Pyrotechnic, M2 (flare gun, duh), and all that other military nomenclature we learned way back when.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Maybe try terms like "dead reckoning" and some of the other terminology like "course made good", etc. I know I've seen navigation problems in a few places but can't remember exactly where.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have tried teaching navigation, figuring out questions to ask and the answers is a bit of a pain, so it would be good to have some practice questions.

In practice I found using simple examples from the local charts we use works ok.
The hard bit is teaching my wife anything good luck with that.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Reactions: smurphny and capta

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have some but they are specific to Canadian chart 3462 and use Canadian Tides and currents.

These might work, but you need the ASA chart

http://kansascitysailing.com/blog/w...vigation-test-review-questions-Version-D2.pdf

I have done some of these questions for others using the NOAA chart and OpenCPN. I think it is 13218.
Thanks. That's exactly what we are lookin for. I should be able to download the chart, too. After a year and a half in the engine room, it's time to bring the gal back into the light.
Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.