SailNet Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am new to yachting, and I want to take some courses for beginners in my spare time. I live in the UK, but at the moment I'm in another country for work. So here's the question, are there any online courses for people like me? Like, for those who can't attend a standard course. I would like to learn some basic knowledge, safety techniques, yachting principles and such. I know that there is a lot of information on the internet, but it would be great if there were such online courses where everything would be put together

·
Registered
138 Posts
There are plenty of online courses, and also books. However, they're not a good use of your time. If you're new, the only "book learning" that's really productive is the names of the parts of the boat, and the points of sail and basic sail trim. All this can be explained in about half an hour. Reading about sailing is like reading about boxing.

I'd suggest you find (in my opinionated order of priority) a community sailing organization, a sailing center, or a yacht club local to you. They may offer classes, that great! They may let you hop on board other folks' boats, that's also good!

If you want to do some reading (and some is productive!) I'd suggest a used copy of the book Start Sailing Right. It covers the basics, but doesn't fill your head with theory that will interfere with your on-the-water learning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to everyone in this thread.
I will certainly read the books you advised me. I understand that it's best to learn right away in practice, but I don't have that opportunity right now. I want to prepare for swimming "on dry land", I want to learn the basics of mechanics, safety, and so on. I'm taking a free course from Learn to sail. A clear and highly understandable sailing course now, learned a lot of new things, got a lot of new terms for myself, and I think now reading books will be a little easier.
Can you tell me if there are any other similar free courses like this? Maybe you can advise some tutors on youtube, if you know any

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,588 Posts
This thread is closed as it gets spam attacked.
Weird stuff.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.