SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Dirt Free
3,034 Posts
Do not sail that boat til' it's fixed !!! That is a serious fracture with impending loss of rig.

The repair is not especially difficult but will require multiple layers of various types and weaves of fiberglass. I generally suggest that most people can handle most repairs but the very fact that you had to ask the question indicates you don't have the experience for this type of structural glass work. Call in a pro.

·
19,485 Posts
That's a lot more than the more normal 'stress crack'.. it looks like the laminate is broken clear through. Would be very interested to know how that happened!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear boatpoker, Thank you for the quick response. I've been reading up on fiberglass repair. Trouble is that it's right where the backstay connects to the chainplate. But why not sail her anyway? With a username like yours, thought you liked to gamble. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear faster, we were running the chute downwind. *Hauled major ass then heard a loud popping sound. *Sadly it wasn't a bottle of Dom. :(

JK - Boat was a gift and came this way. Dont know the backstory on the crack...

·
19,485 Posts
The majority of the rig load will be on that shaky area downwind in a breeze. It has to be compromised structurally but it's hard to imagine that kind of damage from normal sailing activities.

·
Dirt Free
3,034 Posts
Dear boatpoker, Thank you for the quick response. I've been reading up on fiberglass repair. Trouble is that it's right where the backstay connects to the chainplate. But why not sail her anyway? With a username like yours, thought you liked to gamble. ;)
Continued stress in that area will lead to a rapidly expanding fracture. As your backstay becomes even looser, a few puffs of wind will either break the backstay or pull the chainplate out of the transom.

PS. Think of the other meaning of "poker" :)

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
damn that was a vigurous downwind leg then!

do not sail like everyone says

It would be a good time ro reinforce the area as well as retune yur rig...

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
My Catalina 25 had a plywood core under the transom. If the C-27 is the same then that should require serious investigation. You need to see what is holding that chainplate now, it could be really bad if it is only cracked fiberglass.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
I used to own a C27 and have seen this fracture before. We had the model with the outboard well and had cracks around that, but none in the top beam of the transom like yours. That's quite a bit more serious from a structural standpoint than what we had with ours.

Poker nailed it. Fix it right. It's a pretty big deal losing your rig.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
On the 27 the chain plate goes under the rub rail, this can cause the chain plate to corrode and crack under the rub rail. this puts all the load on the bolt that is attached to the molded deck and not on the bolts that attached thru the hull and plywood transom. this leaves only one bolt holding the backstay

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
That is scary looking! By the way Boatpoker is a guy who pokes at boats professionally (surveyor), not a gambler so he knows what he speaks of. If you look at his site he has a lot of good info, but gambling on safety is not something he does! That is a very high stress area, as the whole rig pulls forward on the back stay. So if you sail it will be pulling the chainplate out of the crack.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Catalina can offer ideas on how it was originally built, but from the nameplate hull # I'd guess that boat is well over 30 years old.

After all the fun & games and jokes and scary stuff: Go down below and underneath and see what's there. Run the main halyard back aft and tie it off to balance the mast (doesn't have to go all the way to the transom, try connecting to a line wrapped around a winch), and disconnect the backstay by unscrewing the turnbuckle (get open ones if you have the closebodied barrels).

Figure how what the chainplate connection is doing based on the sage advice offered earlier.

If you don't know fiberglass work, you're right, find someone who does. Doesn't have to be a "paid professional" could be some friendly folks on the dock who do know.

Good luck.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
As others have said that is a serious crack.

But it is an easy repair. Use epoxyGrind it out both sides 12 to 1, lay up bi axial cloth on the inside, you may want to thicken the epoxy, clamp on a waxed backing plate and let it set. Repeat on the outside.

I would think hard about reinforcing the upper edge. Maybe something as simple as a strip of stainless or a couple of extra layers of glasscloth.

Fair and paint the transom.

·
Registered
393 Posts
+1 on talking to Catalina. You may also want to run this issue in the Catalinaowners forum... With almost 7,000 C27s running around, this has probably happened before. There may have been a chainplate mod, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts