SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Most reputable rigging operations know how to deal with this. You can check with the Mast maker. Having said that, most minor cracks are drill stopped and a sleeve or collar is place in the area for more support. Cost is a few hundred dollars.

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
I spoke with Eastport Spars and Rigging, and they suggested that a weld is likely the way to go. Of course, they were responding to my verbal description of the problem. I'm very leery of having it welded.

Currently, the crack is tiny. It is about 1" long and basically follows the curvature of the compression sleeve/mast joint for the lower shrouds. Other than this spot, the mast seems to be in very good condition.

The mast has welds in numerous locations that have held up all of these years. The masthead is welded on. The hounds for the forestay and backstay are welded. All of the winch pads are welded on. The compression sleeves are welded into place (obviously, one of these failed).
Most of those welds are Electron Beam or Laser welds. I would not take the risk of ruining my mast with a hand weld. Talk to the mast manufacturer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.