SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea what to do for a dingy that has been weathered and is starting to feel cracked a bit and looking rough?

·
Registered
408 Posts
get a new one?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I painted my dinghy with the dinghy paint, biggest waste of time and money I've ever made. I took an ugly old dinghy, and spent $150 turning it into.... an ugly old dinghy, but now in a different colour. A colour that scrapes off at every opportunity, and because the paint is matt, shows the dirt.

If your dinghy is worn out, get a new one. Next time you could get a sun cover. But I wouldn't bother, because by the time the hypalon is sun-damaged, all the seams will be separating and the floorboards will be rotting.

·
599 Posts
Bit disappointed in this thread. In the UK - Yorkshire especially - a "cracking inflatable dinghy" would imply "An awesome inflatable dingy", not "An inflatable dinghy which is showing cracks"

Oh, well.

If your inflatable has cracks, UV has damaged the rubber making it brittle. Typically a well-built dinghy has a layer of material sandwiched between layers of rubber/plastic, reinforcing and protecting against punctures; so it will not immediately fail on you, but if the top layer is cracking, it is definitely time to replace it.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
If it is a PVC dinghy cracking, that's a structural failure in the PVC material.

If it is a hypalon dinghy cracking, that's a structural failure as the outer layer of "rubber" contracts and separates from the structural fabric is is coating.

Either way, covering it up won't stop the failure from continuing under the coating. I'd expect it is time to stop putting any money into it, and look for a replacement.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree with everyone! PVC boats are a waste of money and nothing but a landfilll expense. I am so disappointed with our BRIG. I work hard for my money and the thing crapped out in five years; just doesn't seem right.

·
Have a go and DIY .....
109 Posts
Any idea what to do for a dingy that has been weathered and is starting to feel cracked a bit and looking rough?
Hi
Is it made from PVC or a plastic covered cavas material called Hyperlon.?

If it is pvc just use it as it is.

If it is Hyperlon your be able to tidy it up a bit using a fluid called toulene.

However go easy with it as too much will destroy the Dinghy.
So applied with a cloth in small circles may bring it back to life.
Your able to buy Toulene from shops that make wetsuites and dry diving suites.
They use it to remove access glue...
And it is also used to clean inflatable boat areas for sticking on Patches and other fittings.

I have used it before to clean and tidy up A Ridged hull inflatable..
and the dinghy I now have as a tender it looks like new now but was in a fair condition before I started it. Just really mucky and dirty...

Robert

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
I painted my dinghy with the dinghy paint, biggest waste of time and money I've ever made. I took an ugly old dinghy, and spent $150 turning it into.... an ugly old dinghy, but now in a different colour. A colour that scrapes off at every opportunity, and because the paint is matt, shows the dirt.

If your dinghy is worn out, get a new one. Next time you could get a sun cover. But I wouldn't bother, because by the time the hypalon is sun-damaged, all the seams will be separating and the floorboards will be rotting.
Respectfully disagree, with the uselessness of a cover

We keep our dinghy in davits 85% of the time and it has a nice modified Taylor cover. My wife modified it ewith the Sailrite maching to allow the davit straps to penetrate, we keep a $1 beach ball inflated so the rain rolls off. The dinghy is 5 years old ( Walker Bay Odesset) and we use it frequently and it looks brand new. We are getting to replace the cover next year as the sun has major faded it and taken the beating that the dinghy would have.

It takes 5 extra minutes when raising the dinghy to put the cover on and cinch the straps under the dinghy keel once it is raised on the davits, The elastic bottom and cinching the straps leaves it tight and well protected.

An oh BTW the dinghy is clean whenever we lower it and get ready to go for a ride in it.

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts