SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Coronado 15
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Last I posted it was to get help with a real fixer upper Coronado 15. I am working on that but in the meantime randomly found another C15 in much better shape on craigslist. The one potential issue is some cracks running along with sides of the deck. I assume those are just weak points and I can epoxy them up without worries but wanted to check. They run basically along the entirety of both sides of the deck inside. See the attached pic.

Follow up is whether it is ok to sail before patching all the cracks they are not separating or anything and I won't leave it in the water. Anxious to get out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
that is not the deck that is the cockpit sole. the deck is where you sit when sailing. likely just gelcoat cracks, what does it do when you stand near the crack. does it flex open when you put weight on the cockpit sole

·
Registered
Coronado 15
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is not the deck that is the cockpit sole. the deck is where you sit when sailing. likely just gelcoat cracks, what does it do when you stand near the crack. does it flex open when you put weight on the cockpit sole
Yes you are correct it's the cockpit sole, I am slowly learning all the correct terminology. I haven't noticed any flexing. Just thought it was odd that it is running along both sides rather than here or there. Not sure if that's a common point where gelcoat first can start to crack. The only other small cracks are near the Barney post/dagger board which I assume is more because of the pressure and constant ups and downs there.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
the gelcoat gets real thick on that corner when you are spraying it in the mold. that is a positive corner and there is nonskid on the sole and that requires a lot to fill the nonskid pattern and then it doubles up on the corner when you spray the side of the cockpit. I had a gelcoat crack on several boats right there. my Bene had a small one right there and when we ground it out to fix it was about 1/8" thick in the corner . way to thick for gelcoat.

·
Registered
Coronado 15
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the gelcoat gets real thick on that corner when you are spraying it in the mold. that is a positive corner and there is nonskid on the sole and that requires a lot to fill the nonskid pattern and then it doubles up on the corner when you spray the side of the cockpit. I had a gelcoat crack on several boats right there. my Bene had a small one right there and when we ground it out to fix it was about 1/8" thick in the corner . way to thick for gelcoat.
Ahh that makes sense. So I will just Dremel it and then fill with epoxy. I guess my question is whether it's OK to take it out in the meantime since it is likely not the fiber and it's all above the water (well out of the water at least). Do you think that would be ok?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts