SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys. i have what may seem a crazy question. i have two sails that i paid nothing for. i would like to use one of them for the boat. the cal 24 sail fits, as is. it would need reef points but that's not the problem. it's blown out. i mentioned it before. it's fairly out of shape, in my opinion, and it would be a bit costly to fix. i don't think it would be really worh it for what i would have when it was done. it would make a good emergency back up, though.

the other sail i have is from a grampian ketch. it's in great shape. the big problem is the foot is 3 inches too long. i'd need to get it altered to fit. the cost estimates i have received, so far, put that at $180 to $280. knowing it's a good sail, that might be a better investment than a used sail, of unknown quality, at a similar cost. i am not sure about that, yet.

however, it's a lot of bother for 3 inches. i was thinking, what if i could extend the boom? there is room for it. has anyone, here, done that or know of anyone who has? basically, my boom is 10.2" and i need 10.5"

if i knew someone that had a used boom that would fit, i'd just swap. but, i don't see anything on ebay and i don't know anyone.

thanks. and, before it's said, i realize it's a bit of a crazy idea. but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work, right:)

·
19,488 Posts
Our son lengthened the boom on his C36 about a foot, maybe a bit more. He got a matching section, cut two pieces, one the extension, the other slotted to become the sleeve.

It's worked out for him, he's using J105 mainsails to good effect.

So yes, it can be done. You still need to carefully check how the roach of the sail and your backstay will relate up high in the rig.

HOWEVER... it makes your boat 'non standard' for the 'next guy'... but your boat's going to be plenty nonstandard anyhow.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a boom that is about 10'5". I'd have to check for sure. It's yours if you can get it from central Illinois.

Chuck

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
If the sail is still has good shape, etc. $180-200 to taper-cut the leech, put in a new reinforced clew outhaul, etc. is quite a good price. Youd pay more for a 'welder' to add that much to the end of a spar.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a boom that is about 10'5". I'd have to check for sure. It's yours if you can get it from central Illinois.

Chuck
would it fit for my boat? the gooseneck part, i mean.

i would gladly pay shipping....as long as it's not in excess of 100 bucks. i found a place, Ullman sails, that will trim the sail back 6", starting at the lowest batten, for 100 bucks. i have to make sure the roach will fit, as Faster already noted. but, if shipping is less than $100 and the roach will fit within the backstay, a boom swap is decidedly easier.

a swap out would be best. as Faster stated, the boat is already going to be non-standard. this would allow a swap back.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If the sail is still has good shape, etc. $180-200 to taper-cut the leech, put in a new reinforced clew outhaul, etc. is quite a good price. Youd pay more for a 'welder' to add that much to the end of a spar.
hmmm yes....except that i am a welder and i'd probably cut myself a break on the labor costs:)

however, there is a material acqisition issue, if i do it the way Faster suggests. i would have to find a boom of the same form and that might cost as much as getting the sail altered....now that it will only be $100 to alter it. of course, if the shipping on that boom is less that $100.....

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just be careful about those crazy booms. I got hit with one once ;-)
:laugher good pun. sounds like something i'd say.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Three inches of added length shouldn't be difficult. I have banner adds up on my screen claiming their product will add that much or more (results may vary). :p

MedSailor

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Three inches of added length shouldn't be difficult. I have banner adds up on my screen claiming their product will add that much or more (results may vary). :p

MedSailor
:laugher:laugher that reference took me a minute. i almost asked you what the company was.....then it hit me

Reactions: MedSailor

·
Registered
249 Posts
Shipping for the boom would be $250.00. So unless you know someone driving past my house on I 70; it would not be cost effective.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shipping for the boom would be $250.00. So unless you know someone driving past my house on I 70; it would not be cost effective.
oh. no, it wouldn't. i need to know more over the road truckers. lol. i suppose i will stick with shortening the foot, if the roach fits past the backstay. it was a nice thought, though. thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our son lengthened the boom on his C36 about a foot, maybe a bit more. He got a matching section, cut two pieces, one the extension, the other slotted to become the sleeve.

It's worked out for him, he's using J105 mainsails to good effect.

So yes, it can be done. You still need to carefully check how the roach of the sail and your backstay will relate up high in the rig.

HOWEVER... it makes your boat 'non standard' for the 'next guy'... but your boat's going to be plenty nonstandard anyhow.
actually, what i was thinking of doing was machining a new end piece, at the tack part of the boom, to replace the original and give me an extra 3".

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
actually, what i was thinking of doing was machining a new end piece, at the tack part of the boom, to replace the original and give me an extra 3".
I would put whatever you are doing at the clew end of the boom. It'll get lower loads there.

How does the outhaul on your existing boom work? Would there be room to do something tricky that would just allow for a 3" greater sail? A photo of the clew end would be good.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would put whatever you are doing at the clew end of the boom. It'll get lower loads there.

How does the outhaul on your existing boom work? Would there be room to do something tricky that would just allow for a 3" greater sail? A photo of the clew end would be good.
no. the boom simply isn't long enough. the longer foot would stretch out into thin air.

i was thinking that addng to the clew end necessitates adding a track for the bolt on the foot to move through.

plus, my boom presently rotates. i need it fixed for the boomkicker. i got the fitting, with the boom kicker, that is supposed to do that. it's going to make the whole thing a bit cluttered looking. i was thinking, i could fabricate a 3" longer cap with a fixed gooseneck connector. to my way of thinking, that would kill two tax collectors with one stone.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Why not take the money and buy a used heavy duty sewing machine. It will pay off big time, as you will need fairly constant repair on old sails, not to mention everything else it can be used for. Watch a few youtube vids and have at it. Just being able to recover leach lines or keep UV covers in good shape can significantly extend the life of a sail.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why not take the money and buy a used heavy duty sewing machine. It will pay off big time, as you will need fairly constant repair on old sails, not to mention everything else it can be used for. Watch a few youtube vids and have at it. Just being able to recover leach lines or keep UV covers in good shape can significantly extend the life of a sail.
that's an idea. not sure if it would work for me. i don't have the space , in my house, to be able to work on a sail, that way. the sprit sail, for my dinghy, took up my entire living room floor.

and, i will admit machanized sewing devices intimidate me a bit. i do all my sewing by hand. i have done a good bit of sewing, though. making motorcycle seats, repairing small sails, repairing my riding leathers and other clothes....but all by hand. i won't deny, when you spend hours sewing up a new motorcycle seat, by hand, a sewing machine looks really attractive....until i think how likely it is i will screw up the seat i'm making.

i suppose you are right, though. it makes no sense to DIY every other aspect of my bikes and boats, yet not learn how to use a sewing machine. i will have to give it serious consideration. it's very sensible.

a sewing machine can't be more evil than a welder or a milling machine, right?:laugher

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
no. the boom simply isn't long enough. the longer foot would stretch out into thin air.

i was thinking that addng to the clew end necessitates adding a track for the bolt on the foot to move through.
It sounds like you need more than a 3" extension. You'll need enough room for the foot of the sail, a shackle around the clew, and at least one block (usually in the aft end of the boom) for the outhaul.

Do you know which sail you have from which Grampian Ketch? The only one that seems remotely close would be the mizzen sail from this boat:
GRAMPIAN 46 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

It should fit on your existing boom, the stock mizzen sail for that boat has a 10.25' foot, same as your Cal 27-1. It is over a foot short in P though, so it'll be like sailing with half a reef tucked in at all times.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It sounds like you need more than a 3" extension.
that's why i am going for 6" :)

You'll need enough room for the foot of the sail, a shackle around the clew, and at least one block (usually in the aft end of the boom) for the outhaul.

Do you know which sail you have from which Grampian Ketch? **/quote]

i have a jib, the main, and mizzen from a classic 31. the mizzen is too small. i couldn't find sail sizes for the ketch rig on line, anywhere. i had to measure the sail. P= 26' E= 10.5'

the luff is 1.5' shorter but i can live with that.

The only one that seems remotely close would be the mizzen sail from this boat:
GRAMPIAN 46 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

It should fit on your existing boom, the stock mizzen sail for that boat has a 10.25' foot, same as your Cal 27-1. It is over a foot short in P though, so it'll be like sailing with half a reef tucked in at all times.
sailboatdata doesn't even show that there IS a ketch version. you're right! that would be the perfect sail. but, i don't have one of those :(

·
Registered
154 Posts
If your boat has excessive weather helm then lengthen the boom or get the longer one. If you like the balance of the helm the way it is then trim the sail.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts