SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently sailnet.com has the ablility to create groups, a feature that appears to not get much use, but I have created the group San Francisco Bay Sailing anyway.

It can be a useful thing to be able to connect with members who are actually local to you, both from a communication of local conditions and evebts, to social stuff.

The link is San Francisco Bay Sailing hope to see some of you there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The link will not allow me to join/view your new group. The app says my post count isn't sufficient although I have posted more than ten times.

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
Hi Groggy,

I decided to move my boat to Treasure Island instead of Emeryville. It's a good spot for my purposes right now, and the drive is not as far from my house as Emeryville would have been.

So what's the purpose of this group if no one is active....?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
well too bad Im not in berkeley anymore...

enjoy the group!

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All,

Well, I created the group and then have lagged on doing anything further as the winter has led my focus elsewhere. Now that spring is upon us, and the winds are cranking up in the bay area, along with more favorable daytime tides, I am back on the water.

As for this group, I still dont have any particular goals or agenda, but I have been thinking of a few things:

-- This could be a nice resource for calling for extra crew if one is short handed, and it would be nice to meet folks in person, even if that isn't on the water. Is there any interest in getting together at Quinn's Lighthouse or somewhere to put names to faces?

-- I'm definitely going to Strictly Sail Pacific in April at Jack London Square and would love to hoist a beer at Heinholds First and Last Chance Saloon while talking shop with the folks here.

-- This season I am hoping to do more overnights on the bay with potential to meet at Ayala cove, Paradise beach, or even Treasure Island.

I am open to any ideas.

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
Meeting everyone in person would be nice.

I'll be at Strictly Sail for the SOS class on Sunday. The cruisers party is Sat night.

Another location is Clippers Cove. No more derelict boats are in the cove and I sometimes see a dozen cruisers moored out there. Mind the shoaling at the entrance though.

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
This is from the website:

About a dozen years ago Bob Bitchin and Jody of Cruising Outpost created the Cruisers’ Party at Strictly Sail Pacific. Cruisers come from all over to enjoy this annual celebration of the cruising lifestyle. Eric Stone will be live and in concert and there will be beer, wine, soft drinks, and pizza. The event is free and open to all show attendees and exhibitors. It starts when the show closes at 7:00 pm and you must be in the show prior to closing (re-entry is not permitted).

There will be a drawing during the party for boating related prizes. Cruising Outpost is working with The Call of the Sea, a non profit organization in San Francisco CA.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I usually go to the show on Fridays and commune with my racing brethren and will be racing on Sunday. I just might sneak over on Saturday for the party as I’m always good for a free beer or two. Are there any good seminars on Saturday?

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
Hey George, note that they say you have to be at the show just prior to attend the party. Not sure how they work that.

As to the seminars, it depends on what you like! Check the website. They will be going on all day.

I'll probably go on Saturday, too. Not sure how everyone will find the others in the crowd though. Perhaps tie a piece of paper with our Avatar names around our necks? Just kidding, of course.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
From the peanut gallery

We have a fairly large contingent ( grou) in the Chesapeake and have a Rondevous every summer. The numbers have always been 55-110 peop, half by land and half by boat. Its great to get together and talk and meet other sailors. We also have occasional meetings at the boats show in Annapolis, and at a restaurant in the winter. It takes someone to organize at times and take the initatoive for the get togethers.

It helps as we have made some great friendships and commradiere on the water. Have hel;p when we need to move a boat, etc. Helps when needing a hand fixing something or even another opinion.

Also made firends with many in New England when we travel there for 3+ weeks in the summer. They have given us great anchorages, restauarants, met them for dinner and even have offer their cars to help us reprovision.

Lastly selfishly it would be great when I or we travel to SF if we knew a number of SN so maybe we could itch a ride for a day and view your beautiful area from the water

Their is no negatives to having your group. I applaud your efforts

Dave

Reactions: groggy

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
Hi Dave, thanks for those comments and suggestions! You and others visiting the SF area are welcome to get in touch with me to go sailing. I'm out about every week and will be taking off in a few minutes for a race at the Corinthian Yacht Club.

OK, I'm game to be the instigator to band together this motley crew for those attending Strictly Sail Pacific. How about those going on Saturday to the Cruisers' Party try to meet around the beer hut (?? -- hoping there's only one) at 7:00. I'll wait around the beer cooler till about 7:30 and see if anyone identifies themselves as an SNer. Please don't make me stand there drinking beer all by myself :)

Cheers.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Dave, thanks for those comments and suggestions! You and others visiting the SF area are welcome to get in touch with me to go sailing. I'm out about every week and will be taking off in a few minutes for a race at the Corinthian Yacht Club.

OK, I'm game to be the instigator to band together this motley crew for those attending Strictly Sail Pacific. How about those going on Saturday to the Cruisers' Party try to meet around the beer hut (?? -- hoping there's only one) at 7:00. You can find a picture of me on LinkedIn and other places on the web - Carliane Johnson - to try to zero in on one person. I'll wait around the beer cooler till about 7:30 and see if anyone identifies themselves as an SNer. Please don't make me stand there drinking beer all by myself :)

Cheers.
That sounds like a great idea, I will definitely be there for a beer at 7pm as well!

-Max

1 - 20 of 25 Posts