SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Have you ever needed to go below, say to use the head, in an area with thin water or complicated navigation? You want to give the helm to the first mate, but you're a bit worried to go off watch? Or better yet, you're down below in the head and can feel the boat making an unexpected turn and you wonder where you are going?

I turn on the chart program on my cell phone and bring it below. I can watch exactly where we are the whole time. It's like having a chartplotter on the wall in every room. :)

I also use the Notes app to keep track of repairs or supplies that I realize I need. You know, you're sitting at the helm on a long passage and notice something or think of something. By the time I got to a piece of paper, hours later, I would forget. I just jot them in whenever I think of them. That bloody list gets long!!

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
One more. Too lazy to keep a navigation log while underway? Open your fav smartphone nav program to a page that shows your position, heading and speed. The screen probably shows the time on it somewhere too. Just take a screen shot and save it to your photos every hour or so. On an iPhone, this is done by pressing the top and front button simultaneously.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I always grab a pic of some beautiful sight, such as the sails against the sky, a sunset or lights glistening on the Bay. Then I either message it to someone I'm hoping will come visit, or just as satisfying, to someone who backed out and would have been there for that moment. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts