SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was on another board about the outdoors and it has a really interesting thread with creepy outdoors stories. People posted everything form being stalked by cougars, psychos in the woods, to their , ghost, big foot and other weird creature encounters. I imagine people here must have a ton of such stories from the nautical perspective as well. I would love to hear them.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
That's one of the things I like about being out on the water away from people, nothing creepy. :D

Reactions: Multihullgirl

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I was sailing at night, alone and exhausted in rough seas earlier this year and I passed close to a lobster trap buoy. I caught the stick of the buoy bobbing up and down out of the corner of my eye and for a second, enough time for my heart to race, I thought it was an arm reaching out of the water for me. But the only creepiness was my imagination.

·
Administrator
7,944 Posts
Many years ago sailing at night in the med on someone elses boat. I was on watch alone on a beautiful night so turned the nav lights off and all other lights so I could see the stars.
Suddenly from off the side of the boat in the water two electric green torpedoes streaked towards me and I braced for the detonation (as I jumped a meter in the air from shock) both torpedoes went under the boat as I gently freaked out. They turned around the other side of the boat and 2 dolphins surfaced together. Damn bio luminescence! It was so thick there you couldnt see the dolphins, just their shapes underwater.

:)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You mean the time the sharknado hit and then we had a zombie apocalypse? Zombie's can't swim, can they?

It is a fact that they can't. I am hooked on the walking dead tv series, and I always said if this were to happen I would live on a boat, and only come ashore for supplies.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
There was this one time, we were anchored out in the Bahamas, near the Bermuda triangle, eating lobster we had caught. My wife had eaten all of her lobster already, but I had like two bites left when I went down in the cabin to get another beer. When I came back up, my lobster was gone. I asked my wife what happened to it and she didn't know. We never did find out where it went. That was creepy. :eek:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I went sailing yesterday and all the Chardonnay disappeared! We still have no idea what happened.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I am out in the desert north of Roswell, and have no creepy stories, except about flying saucers and talking to animals, but I am sure that if you were to supply some of these sailors a FEW drinks they could tell you some really terifying stories.

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
Hi, I was on another board about the outdoors and it has a really interesting thread with creepy outdoors stories. People posted everything form being stalked by cougars, psychos in the woods, to their , ghost, big foot and other weird creature encounters. I imagine people here must have a ton of such stories from the nautical perspective as well. I would love to hear them.
I got stalked by a cougar once. She was 67 and I was 26! Now that is creepy! She was even a part of the year live-aboard, on a 75 foot boat. If I had gone for it, since she has since passed and I would be rich! Oh why did I have to choose love? You can marry more money in a minute than you can make in a lifetime!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Heading south off the coast of Florida, we passed an inflatable dinghy floating out in the open ocean in the middle of the night. As we passed it was close enough to tell what it was (barely, with the spotlight), but too far to see any detail, and we decided to circle back. The creepy part was imagining that there could be someone in it, alive or not. It could have been someone who got swept out to sea in a small boat, or used the dinghy as a life raft when forced to abandon ship, or refugees, or what have you.

Surprisingly we were able to find it again in the dark. It looked like it had been floating for some time. There was no one inside, and no outboard. Probably lost while towing. We left it alone, reported it to the CG, and went on our way.

In hindsight the only creepiness was in our own imaginations, but at the time it was an eerie sort of excitement in a long night watch.

·
Master Mariner
9,187 Posts
Under sail, alone on watch in the SoPac in the early evening, a meteoroid came streaking across the sky, to impact within a few hundred yards of the boat. It lit the sky very brightly with an eerie green light and all the hairs on the back of my neck stood straight up.
A close second would have to be St. Elmo's fire, which I've had a couple of times.

·
Registered
31 Posts
While fishing on the Thompson River (in Quebec), I was peacefully watching a single duck floating near by my canoe... Then WHAMMM he got attacked by something from under. He resurfaced screaming its lungs out, to get pulled under again. Duck was gone. So was my smile.

Does not seems like much, but in the peace of the moment, that little interlude really gave me the goosebumps.

Talking to my family that lives in the area, some told me that huge pikes occasionally attack ducks. Other people related similar events in that area...

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,426 Posts
seeing life jackets floating in the ocean was creepy, even creepier was seeing a rubber glove floating down the Delaware bay recently...um, hope it was just a glove but looked like a hand reaching out for help!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
As a kid on my Dad's gill netter, Standing on the quarter as the net came up over the rollers. I was watching for smileys (big spring salmon which put a smile on the face) Thought I kept seeing someone swimming in the bio luminescence .Sure enough, as more net came home the body rose up and we brought it on board like a trussed up seal. (which it wasn't) Took it to the RCMP in Gibsons. All in a nights work. Hardly any gillnetters left now in the Salish Sea so finding running shoes complete with foot is becoming common.

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
I was anchored out in a small, remote, very shallow approach cove that other boaters had been avoiding because of the shallows. Way back in was a small power boat with a cabin. I was very quiet to not wake anyone and set my anchor. In the morning, I got up did my thing, never did see anyone. Left and went sailing. Came back. Still there, still no signs of life. Keep in mind, this isn't a place where people anchor out or moor and leave boats.

Likely nothing amis of course. But as I sat there that evening, it got in my head that someone had anchored there solo, and died. :( The more i sat enjoying my wine and the scenery, the creepier that boat seemed to me.

When I left in the morning I was sure there was a dead guy on the boat. Creepy.

More likely the motor died, the put it in a protected spot to come get it later. Not so creepy.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts