SailNet Community banner

Have you ever passed by and put into Crescent City harbor?

• yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 50.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Making Ready
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having grown up in Crescent City I know it to be a wonderful safe harbor. Looking over other's logs and posts I find rare mention of CC. I wonder why?
Doug

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Whos knows...I've heard of New Orleans being called the cresent city. There is a Cresent City in NE Florida on then St. Johns River. Why don't you mention where this Cresent City of yours is located.

·
Wind and pie move my boat.
424 Posts
can't be New Orleans...that would be " the Cresent City & New Orleans doen't have a harbor anyway

·
Making Ready
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I'll give another clue, besides being in the Pacific Northwest, the Crescent City I'm referring to is at the northern end of California.
Doug

·
424 Posts
New Orleans , being the 3rd largest seaport in the world has places to dock ships...... along the Mississippi river that runs through the city . Maybe you're speaking of Bayou St. John . You can dock boats there . A harbor...I don't think so . Hmmm.....the Southern Yacht Harbor on Lake Ponchatrain ??? Does 400' of man made breakwater a harbor make ??? Hmmmmmm Lots of places to dock boats in New orleans....the intercoastal canal....maybe the Rigolets , but a harbor ?????? Anyway....turns out the subject area is on the West Coast anyway so no matter . Have a good one . I hope to be in that area next Fall after hurricane season . Planning on docking either in Bayou Liberty near Slidell or at Gohagan's out by the Rigolet's Pass

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've grown up in New Orleans and currently live across the lake and work in the city. Thanks for the lecture, though.

Orleans Marina, South Shore Harbor (under construction should open soon) and Municpal Yacht Harbor in the city. Very close to the city: Oak Harbor, Prieto Marina, Landfall Marina, Colbert Cove just to name a few. Plus, free city docks - with power and water - in Mandeville and Madisonville. There are plenty more.

I hope you enjoy the area when you visit. Maybe a few harbor tours are in order though.

·
424 Posts
I come in peace & had no intention to lecture . I evidently have a different notion of what a harbor is....no prob....I used to live in Mandeville about a hundred year ago . I'm looking forward to seeing that area again .

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Most west coasters are probably in the sound north to the straight of georgia area in BC, Columbia River, or farther south on the CA coast. hence why no one mentions Crescent city, Ca. Now if this were a land yacht site, CC gets mentioned alot with folks driving up and down 101 along the coast. Wicked rip/undertow tides if you swim on the shore at different times etc. Pretty town from shore.

marty

·
Registered
9 Posts
I pulled into Crescent City to avoid a Pac storm in late Aug '08. I got in around midnight and it was a tricky nav event to get into the marina! The digital charts were accurate to nav in by and the light markers were all good. Once in the marina area don't trust the charts! Go to the fueling dock and pull in for the night, the harbor master and his people are very understanding and helpful, if you can't call them after hours, visit them in the AM. No big deal. Nice town!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts