SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Crew for Cuba

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
My boyfriend and I have just bought a sailboat, and have registered it in England where he is from. We are currently on the hard in a boatyard in SW Florida. We were looking for someone with sailing experiance to help us crew the boat to Cuba then come back to the US via the bahamas. We would like to do this very soon as hurricane season is apon us. We having a very comfortable and spacious guest v-berth and would provide all provisions (im quite the chef ;) ). If youre interested send me a message, we are at the 2 week countdown of going in the water.
look forward to hearing from you,
athena

#2 ·
So he is from England, but what about you? If you are a US citizen, you could run into a lot of problems with this. There is a lot of info on this board about the legal issues involved in sailing to Cuba. Personally I wouldn't do it. Go to the bahamas instead. And if you do plan on going to Cuba anyway, I don't recommend posting your plan on a public message board.

#3 ·
thanks

thank you for your recommendation, but i am aware of all the rules about traveling to cuba, i have done my research and i am also aware that more than just americans use this site. anyone else in the world is free to go there. and free to join us if they so choose.

#5 ·
Cuba Bound

Hello Cuba Bound,
Your choice is good but your timming may be a little off. The trip is well worth the effort but there are several key considerations to keep in mind.
As your boat has been on the hard & I asume that you have been doing some upgrades & refitting I would reccomend that you do some shakedown sailing prior to heading to Cuba. Should experience boat problems while their you will be at their mercy, they will attempt too help however they to are at a disadvantage. As I am sure you are aware of that is not where you want to be should the weather come at you hard & strong. I got caught there several years ago,only because I just couldn't pull my self away an it was starting to get deep into huricane season & finally I had to make a run for Guatemala, & today that is not a place you want to lay up for the season.
One last suggestion if you decide that this is your time to do it you may want to jump over to Beliz first & there you should be able to get some insight as too any problems you may experience from fellow cruisers returning to the states to set out the season. One of the replys you received advising you not to broadcast your intentions as to your plans to sail to Cuba. That individual was 200% correct, The Cuban Government just might be the lesser of your problems.
Good Luck & if you would like too more chat please drop me a line, I will be leaving for Fla in several months to refit my Lady, Whant to guess where my second Port of call will be.?
Art
autumnrun01@msn.com

#7 ·
Ian I don't know if they were all negative.....cautious, perhaps.

There are some issues for USA citizens when it comes to going to Cuba, legally and well yeah it is a bit of a contentious topic.

Here in Australia we love the place, I can go to a travel agent and grab a handful of brochures no problem.....book myself on a package deal down there next month.......but most folk on this forum, NOT all but most are American.

#9 · (Edited)
Link to Cuba article recently in Soundings

The two faces of Cuba

Just read this and though the beginning addresses Americans going to Cuba, the rest of it speaks to challenges for any flag ship going there with good insight to dealing with the bureaucracy. At end there is link to 3 more articles, all covering pros and cons.

#10 ·
Canadian sailor...

hi there athena, good for you two...sail on sail on. I will be in nassau mid Nov and would luv to crew with you2. I have sailed in this area in the past and do know my way from nassau through the "Island chain" to Prov/Turks/Caicos and easward to the DR. I am very interested in your trip to Cuba, no hassle for a Canadian sailor. There is some great sailing there. I am very interested in knowing more... please do email me at cwsnowpro at yahoo dot ca or text me at +1 778 968 3809.
looking forward to hearing from you,
sail on...
Charles Wood

#12 ·
Canadian Sailor

hi there,
I am a Canuck with sailing experience.
I have sailed the Bahama chain of Islands east to the Turks/Caicos and back to Nassau. I would luv to sail with you to Cuba. I am in Nassau on Nov15th if you were interested.
I carry a Canadian passport,am a paramedic in Vancouver BC and have CYA certificates pertaining to...I am not a regestrared captain by any means.
I am healthy, fun and am learning to play guitar. Hoist the mainsail and let's go!
You can contact me here for now until I post a couple more then will be able to give you my email and url.
cheers,
Charles

#13 ·
Have you left by now?
You may not need crew, except for company. We have cruised Cuba and it is ideal cruising ground for a couple. It is mostly daysailing with lots of anchorages along the coast. The only long stretches are from key West to Havana, around Cabo San Antonio and then around the south coast from Cabo Cruz to Punto Maisi (long sails into headwinds although nature has kindly provided ays every 60 iles or so)
We will be going back this year again circumnavigating from Havana to Baia de Vita and up through the Raggeds

#14 ·
Hi Marie,

When you say that anyone else in the world is free to go there (Cuba), you are right. Except:

Canadian boats docking in Florida are subject to rules from US gouvernment and therefore prior to leave US to Cuba should apply for a OFAC authorization.

Here is a link for you to review.
Travel Report for Cuba

I understand you are not Canadian. However you might want to double check with the US cost guard if this apply to you before leaving as a caution. It is not fun to be stopped by cost guard and get in trouble.

I am thinking that UK and Canada can share this king of rules.

Going to Bahamas, staying there for a while and next reach Cuba might be an alternative.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.