SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just finished the closing on my new-to-me boat, a Gulfstar 37, and I intend to bring it home this weekend. I have never docked a boat this large before. My cousin who has experience was supposed to help, but now he is unavailable. I'm seeking someone who knows what they're doing to assist me in docking (I'll have plenty of people available, just none experienced in docking, or even sailing really). I'm looking more for someone to guide me through it than someone to do it for me. I may be able to pay a modest fee or provide some beer or something. The trip would be from Marblehead to Constitution Marina in Boston, probably starting Sat morning. Any takers? Thanks!

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Congrats on the boat. I might be able to help. PM me with contact info. Just curious, what travel arrangements are you making to get to Marblehead?

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
can't find her.. got pictures yet? 37 ft... to a dock or a slip?

Good luck!

CRASH!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
denise, I have some pics I took during the survey up on my website. I don't know how you were searching, since you said you can't find her. I just named her when I did the closing documents/documentation documents. The documentation won't be in the CG database yet. Her former name is Cadence, and as that is what's on the transom, I think we'll be using that name for the duration of the journey home, lest someone get confused when we start calling mayday...

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
It's a pretty common name for boats I found out :)

nice boat! looks well loved by the PO!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a fairly common name, but I came up with it independently. Apparently there is even already a Laissez Faire with a home port of Boston, but since they aren't required to be unique I'm not worried. I called the marina I'll be staying at and also emailed the local liveaboards list and neither had ever heard of the "other" Laissez Faire.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Nice looking boat Ryan.

PS... hate that you can't link directly to images in Gallery... very annoying.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
There is a large sailing community at Constitution. Check out the Yahoo group 'Boston Liveaboards'.

Not a big help for bringing your boat home, but practice is a big help. I have two spherical fenders, some line, and a couple of grapnel anchors. Drop them somewhere out of the way and practice coming alongside, driving between forward and backward, touching a fender with bow and transom, and generally learning to move you boat around at low speed in a small area. Works a treat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts