SailNet Community banner

How do you like this post?

• Not enough details?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too early to post?

• Too stern?

• Itinerary too remote from beaten ground (water)?

• This is an inappropriate use of a poll?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Description of the vessel and potential crew sounds unappealing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for crews to join Charisma by the end of March 2015 for a trip from Mindanao, Philippines to Fiji via Micronesia, Marshall Islands and Kiribati. Arrival in Fiji would be sometimes in January 2016. Passages will last anywhere between 3 and 8 days. In between there will be plenty of time for relaxing, swimming, diving and exploring ashore. I have attached a 4 pages document to this post that introduce the boat, myself, what is expected from crew, cost sharing details and the planned itinerary. To be sure this is not a commercial venture, I am looking at food and drinks cost sharing, details are clearly stated on the attached document. Since I probably missed a few points, feel free to ask for details and reference from past crews. A photo album can also be found in my profile.
Fair Winds,
Francis

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
Western Carolines in June? Fiji in January? You have your typhoon seasons mixed up. You can transit the area in that season but only at a low latitude which passes most of the islands. I just recently went thru that area. It's nice enough. Very expensive for food, fuel and fees. Palau is the shining star of Micronesia for its natural beauty and attractions. Not as much fun as the PI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to tell you I agree with aloof. I crossed the Pacific last year and your schedule is not to recommend.

First you should be aware that there may be hurricanes in the NP at any time, but the best time to be there is from December to April. Later is gambling. Heading out there in March from the Philippines is a bit late.

Second, you don't want to be in Fidji from December to May. That's the cyclone season. That is if you don't put your yacht in a safe place.

We had tropical storms several times and we was lucky to avoid them, you never know. Going east is never easy in this area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks your input, local knowledge is invaluable and always appreciated.
As far as the northern hemisphere is concerned we just happen to have a tropical depression building up at the time of writing. It formed up at about 9 deg N, 142 deg E. We also had a cat 5 just before Christmas.
So the conventional assumption that the north western pacific is typhoon free from december to march can be just thrown out of the window. Where does that leave us? Do not sail in that area ever? A lot of people do so it must be a way.
To start with when did a typhoon occur East of 150 deg East? It might have happened in the past but too seldom to be recorded in Sailing Directions.I'll be East of that point well before the typhoon season start in earnest. Nowadays we have Internet, Navtex and HF radio, all of them providing weather forecast. If one is unlucky enough to sail through the area where the tropical depression forms up, a little understanding of the wind pattern will allow to steer a course away from the storm path. My northern most latitude is 9 deg North for a short while, the escape route is a short run toward the equator.
In the southern hemisphere, I might just get to the northern Fiji island early in december, there are enough cyclone holes in the area to provide good shelter for the next few months.
I do believe in calculated risks not in foolish plan but again thanks for your input.
Fair winds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi again, sure you are right there is no safe time in the NP. There is only less frequent time or more. Check the climatology plugin for OpenCPN, it will give a good idea of the hurricanes in the area during the last 30 years. Seem like the real season is from July to December, but don't trust east of 150E to be safe either. The most southern hurricane was in October but all the way down to 4 degrees north.

Also there is a radio station in Guam sending weather warnings for disturbances in the area. (Issuing warnings long before anything turns into a hurricane or storm. Also warning about ruff seas). Sending at about 9 am, local time. Now I don't remember the freq, but sure listed somewhere. They also claim to listen all day to that freq and you may ask them if you missed the report, they will answer your call. Very nice.

Fair winds and good luck !

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yes, head south from Palau down to 4-5 N. You can then ride the countercurrent E and enjoy (or dread) playing with the ITCZ squalls. Another handy source of WX is WWVH at 47 minutes past the hour, every hour. They quickly communicate the position of all the lows and depressions in the N & S Pacific. And the station is easy to receive. Indeed, E of 150E or 160E the frequency of troublesome depressions is much lower. However, there are fewer places to hide.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am now fully crewed up till end of August 2015, there will then be one berth available from Pohnpei, Micronesia to Fiji or part of the way. All details are in initial post. Drop me a line if interested.
Fair winds,
Francis

·
3,505 Posts
Typhoon 2000 website and cel phone updates for WX in the PI.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I don't understand the cost sharing aspect? You need crew to get your boat to places, yet you expect them to pay? I can sort of understand the sharing of provisions, but 25 euros a day to pay to work for you? Seems a bit reversed to me. Not like this is a bunch of friends sharing expenses and mooring fees and what not that you list as expenses that are shared are surely yours to bear alone. I just don't get it. But you seem to have found people willing to pay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't understand the cost sharing aspect? You need crew to get your boat to places, yet you expect them to pay? I can sort of understand the sharing of provisions, but 25 euros a day to pay to work for you? Seems a bit reversed to me. Not like this is a bunch of friends sharing expenses and mooring fees and what not that you list as expenses that are shared are surely yours to bear alone. I just don't get it. But you seem to have found people willing to pay.
You might have misread the post; 25 E per day is the cost sharing for food and drinks and other consumable that expand with additional people. Beside I do NOT need crew as I sail my ketch by myself most of the time, scuba dive solo and maintain her.
Having said that I enjoy the company of like minded people that can learn some sailing skills from me and are eager to sail and dive out of the beaten path in a beautiful, well maintained yacht. They would not have other means to access some of the more remote islands and certainly not for a paltry 25 E. Yes there is no shortage of applicants but quite obviously not on this site and I do not ask crews to help with a refit.
Fair winds,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.