SailNet Community banner

How do you like this post?

• Not enough details?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too early to post?

• Too stern?

• Itinerary too remote from beaten ground (water)?

• This is an inappropriate use of a poll?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Description of the vessel and potential crew sounds unappealing?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Reaction score
I have to tell you I agree with aloof. I crossed the Pacific last year and your schedule is not to recommend.

First you should be aware that there may be hurricanes in the NP at any time, but the best time to be there is from December to April. Later is gambling. Heading out there in March from the Philippines is a bit late.

Second, you don't want to be in Fidji from December to May. That's the cyclone season. That is if you don't put your yacht in a safe place.

We had tropical storms several times and we was lucky to avoid them, you never know. Going east is never easy in this area.

· Registered
2 Posts
Reaction score
Hi again, sure you are right there is no safe time in the NP. There is only less frequent time or more. Check the climatology plugin for OpenCPN, it will give a good idea of the hurricanes in the area during the last 30 years. Seem like the real season is from July to December, but don't trust east of 150E to be safe either. The most southern hurricane was in October but all the way down to 4 degrees north.

Also there is a radio station in Guam sending weather warnings for disturbances in the area. (Issuing warnings long before anything turns into a hurricane or storm. Also warning about ruff seas). Sending at about 9 am, local time. Now I don't remember the freq, but sure listed somewhere. They also claim to listen all day to that freq and you may ask them if you missed the report, they will answer your call. Very nice.

Fair winds and good luck !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.