SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for people who might be interested in crewing the weekend of November 15th and 16th, for a sail from Montauk to Port Washington. The plan is to sail mostly in daylight, with an overnight stop somewhere on the CT side of Long Island sound Saturday night.

The boat is a 2000 Beneteau 505, with accommodations for 9, but I'd like to keep it to 6 max.

Crew would be responsible for taking turns at the helm, help with the cooking or cleanup, and assisting with navigation, so some knowledge and experience sailing and boating is necessary. I will buy the food and drinks for the trip.

There is public transportation to Montauk via Long Island Rail Road, the "Hampton Jitney" bus and local busses as well. I will pick you up at the train station or bus stop in Montauk. Port Washington has easy Long Island Rail Road service to NY City and other points from there. You would be responsible for getting to/from the boat.

No drugs of any kind, no smoking. Fun, friendly people wanted. I prefer to meet potential crew in or around Nassau county sometime this week.

Please respond to me directly.

Happy Sailing!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I have sailed the area a lot and find the north shore of Long Island, Mattituck Mount Sinai ,Port Jefferson ,Oystery Bay and Northport much simpler to enter

Most of the Conn side has really ROCKY entrance channels

·
Registered
702 Posts
the problem with long island side is there isnt really a good anchorage from orient to port jeff except mayb mattituck but i prefer not....i would but im 14 and dont know if you want that or if parents would allow i have sailing experience and can navigate and hold a course, spent 2.5 weeks on a passenger schooner in maine last summer and am familiar with dishes and cleaning, would love to have some more experience
pm if interested.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have sailed the area a lot and find the north shore of Long Island, Mattituck Mount Sinai ,Port Jefferson ,Oystery Bay and Northport much simpler to enter

Most of the Conn side has really ROCKY entrance channels
That's one of the reasons I prefer to sail in daylight.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some potential crew have expressed a desire to make it a long day sail. This would involve leaving in the very early hours of Saturday morning the 15th. I'm planning it as a two day trip and staying flexible to conditions etc.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am in connecticut, i may be free that weekend, is there a ferry going from ct to montague? if so is it running this time of year, I know there is one from port jeff to ct. but once again dont know if it is running this time of year. I have a 37 ft sloop, sail long island sound, have taken nav courses and am currently in school for Masters captains licence. I can navigate, skipper, crew and clean. Overnight is fine with me, actually preferred. One stipulation. i am allergic to cats/dogs, do you ever have any on board? If interested send me a private message and include phone and we can discuss further

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
I'm definitely free that weekend. Transportation to LI is no problem. Timing is no problem I'm the boss at my company, could help on Fri or Mon if necessary too. I've skippered, crewed, repaired etc. for a few years in LIS and other places. 203-605-8801

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
I have been going out to Gardiner's Bay for summers for over 40 years and learned to sail in part on Hempstead Harbor. When we got our 27' Tartan 6 years ago we delivered it from 3 Mile Harbor to Great Neck via Plum Gut and down the Sound. This past June I helped a Beneteau first 51' owner deliver his boat from Tortola, BVI to Turks and Caicos with just him and me on board. I wrote an account of our trip here: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising/43821-sailors-hands-angry-ocean.html
I think that 6 people total is more then you need and it could be done with 3 or 4 able crew members unless you are using a chute or spinnaker. More than likely the wind will either be on your nose our possibly the N or NW which could provide a better point for sailing to Manhasset. My copy of Eldridge shows the flood tide starting at The Race at 6:13 am on 11/15 which would mean that getting a very early start would be a good thing as by around noon the current will start setting northwest. The tidal currents will not be at their worst but will still be pretty strong as the moon is still close to full AND it is at its perigee (or closest orbit) and in a northern declination. Some of the maximum currents by Plum Gut and the Race can be pretty strong if they are setting against you so an early start is what you should be shooting for. This could mean assembling your crew Fri. night and leaving early, weather permitting, with a possible overnight on Sat. I know that your boat should be able to do 8+ knots but with a 3+ knot current near The Race against you it will not be as quick as you might like.
I also know most of the harbors on the north shore of LI but unfortunately I am a cigarette smoker and am not sure that I am free to join you. Still, it sounds like a fun trip/delivery.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CalebD -- I'd love to have you on board. Can you smoke out in the cockpit every time instead of down below? Also note that with the "tradewinds" we've been having, it might be an upwind trip.

(When my wife was driving my car once, she had my sister (a smoker) on board. The car smelled like cigarette smoke for 3 weeks afterward. Go ahead, ask me the fun way I got my sister back. You'll never guess.)

I have been going out to Gardiner's Bay for summers for over 40 years and learned to sail in part on Hempstead Harbor. When we got our 27' Tartan 6 years ago we delivered it from 3 Mile Harbor to Great Neck via Plum Gut and down the Sound. This past June I helped a Beneteau first 51' owner deliver his boat from Tortola, BVI to Turks and Caicos with just him and me on board. I wrote an account of our trip here: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising/43821-sailors-hands-angry-ocean.html
I think that 6 people total is more then you need and it could be done with 3 or 4 able crew members unless you are using a chute or spinnaker. More than likely the wind will either be on your nose our possibly the N or NW which could provide a better point for sailing to Manhasset. My copy of Eldridge shows the flood tide starting at The Race at 6:13 am on 11/15 which would mean that getting a very early start would be a good thing as by around noon the current will start setting northwest. The tidal currents will not be at their worst but will still be pretty strong as the moon is still close to full AND it is at its perigee (or closest orbit) and in a northern declination. Some of the maximum currents by Plum Gut and the Race can be pretty strong if they are setting against you so an early start is what you should be shooting for. This could mean assembling your crew Fri. night and leaving early, weather permitting, with a possible overnight on Sat. I know that your boat should be able to do 8+ knots but with a 3+ knot current near The Race against you it will not be as quick as you might like.
I also know most of the harbors on the north shore of LI but unfortunately I am a cigarette smoker and am not sure that I am free to join you. Still, it sounds like a fun trip/delivery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello,
I'm a deepwater sailing newbie.
Largest boat I crewed on happened to be a Beneteau 50 in the BVI last April.
Other than that it has been 25s and under.
12 years as a destroyer sailor.
62 years old and in rather good shape.
Non-smoker.
Live in Shirley , montauk is south east of me.
Let me know if yo are interested.
<[email protected]>

Blue Skies....Richard

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hey CalebD --

Where do you sail from in Three Mile Harbor? We are up at the northern end at Folkstone Road, just past Harbor Marina and last exit before the breakwater.

Ted Weitz
"Gossamer Wings"
Beneteau 323
Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello,
I'm a deepwater sailing newbie.
Largest boat I crewed on happened to be a Beneteau 50 in the BVI last April.
Other than that it has been 25s and under.
12 years as a destroyer sailor.
62 years old and in rather good shape.
Non-smoker.
Live in Shirley , montauk is south east of me.
Let me know if yo are interested.
<[email protected]>

Blue Skies....Richard
Richard, PM me your phone number. I'll call you.

·
Catalina38driver
28 Posts
Its a little too short notice for this weekend. But I 'll look for a post in the Spring if you are going to need help moving her back to Montauk. I have my USCG 50 ton license and can handle all positions from cooking to driving; day or night. Hope you have a great weekend.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Thread hijack, apologies to Bene505

Hey Ted Weitz,

I have sailed on 3 Mi. Harbor in my little 14' daysailor which is sitting on its trailer, neglected, just off Springy Banks Rd. where I have some property and my sister's house is. I also bought my Tartan 27' from a guy named James Murphy who bought an Irwin 32' and lives on Hogg Creek Rd. I think he keeps his 'new' boat at the same marina as yours is in off Folkstone Rd. We took the Tartan 27' from 3 Mi. Hbr. through Plum Gut on our way to the western Sound in June about 6 years ago in calm conditions.
I have been visiting the East End (especially Sammies Beach and Wainscott on the Atlantic) for nearly all of my 50 years. I have a special love for that part of Long Island and enjoy Larry Penny's nature articles in the Star. I would love to meet you and go for a sail sometime.

Back to our normal programming...

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Back on topic

CalebD -- I'd love to have you on board. Can you smoke out in the cockpit every time instead of down below? Also note that with the "tradewinds" we've been having, it might be an upwind trip.

(When my wife was driving my car once, she had my sister (a smoker) on board. The car smelled like cigarette smoke for 3 weeks afterward. Go ahead, ask me the fun way I got my sister back. You'll never guess.)
You emptied her ashtray and a can of sardines in oil into the washing machine and washed her comforter in it using no detergent? I guess not - I hope you are nicer than that but I am still curious to find out how you got back at your sister for smoking up your car.

I don't really like smoking in the cabin of my own 27' boat (gas engine) and really prefer smoking in fresh air in the cockpit (preferably downwind of others). On my trip from Tortola to TCI I was in the cockpit in the relentless sun smoking under the Bimini when the dinghy towing line gave way. I noticed the missing dinghy right away as I was outside and the captain was below. We were able to rescue the Walker Bay inflatable in white caps as it was quite close.

Leaving from Montauk, LI at this time of year is a lot different then sailing from the Islands in mid June. As you suggested the winds may be on the nose and it could be an upwind trip. If this turned out to be the case I doubt that the entire 80+ nm trip to Manhasset could be done in one day. I would need to pack more warm weather clothing then just my foulies.

How dependable is your Perkins at this point? There may be cause and justification for motor sailing if the conditions do not cooperate. Do you have radar with proximity alarm? Do you have a life raft or just a dinghy? Do you have SAT phone or SSB or equivalent? Do you have harnesses and jack lines for after dark watches? Epirb? I know that cell phones should work in all the waters we are talking about but I am just asking some obvious questions. On a good day none of this safety equipment should be necessary but it is nice to know what is there before signing on.

I have family living near 3 Mi. Harbor and another on Lloyd Neck on Huntington Bay as well as my mom's house in Hempstead Harbor. They could all be counted on for plan 'B' overnight stops but would likely not be needed. I only ask questions to let you know that I have a some idea of what I might be signing on for.

I still have not convinced the wife that this would be a good thing for her but I am still open to trying to be part of your crew. I would have to rearrange some of my schedule but would really like to be aboard another big Beneteau in more challenging fall conditions in my home waters.

Please tell me what you did to your smoking sister to get back at her!
All my best,
Caleb Davison

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
CalebD,

Right after this happened I was over at her house, watching TV with my brother-in-law. We were talking about it. She kicked her shoes off. Her left shoe made it over near me. I slid it through the doorway into the next room. It gave me an idea. I left the room and grabbed the shoe. To make a long story short, I grabbed every left shoe she owned. We are talking bags full. I stashed them in her garage.

She noticed the next day. It seems I missed a pair though. Then about a week later I told her where they all were. No real harm done, good laughs, and point made. I still call her "lefty" every once in a while.

---

As far as the boat is concerned:

Perkins -- 100% reliable, excellent condition, just had impeller changed (didn't really need it, saved the old one as a spare), just had antifreeze changed, oil is good. Usually I like to motor instead of going really slow. There always seems to be a time element for us weekenders. I do like to sail rather than motor though, so wouldn't want to use it to simply add a knot -- unless there's a need to.

radar - none
dinghy -- 2 person kayak
SAT phone or SSB or equivalent -- no
harnesses and jack lines for after dark watches -- last time I sailed at night, I rigged one using rope. For this trip I'd like to do very little night sailing, hence the desire to make it a two day trip.
Epirb? -- no

Also, laptop with broadband -- great for checking weather
----

Attitude-wise, I'm not looking to push conditions or anything. We can alway do the trip on another weekend. Fog would mean postponing.

Based on some of these posts, I'm thinking Port Jefferson would be a good place to put in on Saturday afternoon. Then we'd have a shorter second day on Sunday.

·
Registered
30 Posts
montauk to port washington

Hello Bene505, trying on that PM, but the 10 post minimum is keeping me from accomplishing that. Tried flooding the site with ten posts in a row, now I have a querie in to the staff regarding this.
If you e-mail me at <[email protected]> I can give it to you that way.

Blue Skies...Richard

·
Registered
30 Posts
montauk to port washington

This is a problem, the system will not allow me to send an e-mail address to you unless (again) I have m0re that ten posts.
It's in your court.

Blue Skies....Richard

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Defrich-

Go to the off-topic forum and post in the song chain thread... you'll get ten posts pretty easily then. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts