SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
all these confusing ropes
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small sailboat (Flicka) I need to have delivered from Ft. Myers to Antigua, hopefully in June. Has the yanmar diesel engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I'm a 26 year old college graduate making my way towards Africa to do conservation work. I just hitchhiked from California to southern Florida. I'm finding that boats do not travel from here to Africa. I'm hoping to have better luck from the Caribbean. If you're looking for an able bodied and intelligent crew member, look no further.

Cheers,
Tyrel

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Tyrel, not to rain on your parade but not many boats from anywhere sail to Africa with a few exceptions (South Africa, but mainly from the Indian Ocean or possibly Rio). Long cruises are governed by prevailing winds, currents, and tropical storm seasons. The season is bad now, hurricanes in the southern North Atlantic until the beginning of November. Even out that season the few boats going from the Caribbean are likely to going to Rio first.

You may find the odd boat in Europe going to Senegal or Cape Verde Islands. Where in Africa do you want to get to? I suspect you are probably best off finding a cheap flight to somewhere close and backpacking from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ahoy Captain,

My name is Chris and I am 29 year old and have spent the majority of my life between West Africa and the United States. I am a hard worker, and eager to learn all things sailing. My personality is very laid back with a sense of humor and I am a friendly individual who gets along with everyone! I absolutely love the beauty of our world, and the ocean particularly. I am excited by the challenge of sailing, the ability to harness the wind for motion and the ingenuity that an adventure at sea must demand.

I have no sailing experience, but have spent much of my adult life dreaming of building my own vessel someday and sailing the Oceans. They say that "tomorrow never comes" so with resolve I have decided that it is time to make my dream a reality. I began searching forums for opportunities where I could learn the trade as a volunteer, and I wonder if you might could use a crew-hand on your trip to the Caribbean?

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am in Florida and I need to get back to the Caribbean or the Virgin Islands which is where I'm from if you can help me that would be great I am looking to offer my services as a deckhand or whatever need be aboard a sail boat I also have with me my fiancé we really need to go home I am looking for a passage to the Caribbean or the Virgin Islands if you or anyone can help please call me my number is 919-308-2685

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Gents, he was looking to make passage in JUNE and you are replying in OCTOBER. With any luck he made the passage months ago and has since gotten out of there, since a chunk of Africa now has an Ebola epidemic haunting it. This may not be a good time to GO to Africa, at least, not that part of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts