SailNet Community banner

281 - 286 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have added dipping the end of the wire into dielectric (silicon) grease or squeezing a small amount into each end of the crimp / splice; on the notion that it keeps water and corrosion out as a secondary defense; in addition to the other good ideas before this. It's easy and quick-may do nothing more than make me feel better?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have added dipping the end of the wire into dielectric (silicon) grease or squeezing a small amount into each end of the crimp / splice; on the notion that it keeps water and corrosion out as a secondary defense; in addition to the other good ideas before this. It's easy and quick-may do nothing more than make me feel better?
Dialectric grease is an insulator. I don't think it's advisable to dip the wires in it before crimping. Squeezing it in afterward may be helpful except if you have adhesive lined heat shrink, in which case it seems like it would prevent a good bond.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Dielectric grease (which is an insulator as posted above) adds nothing to a good crimp done properly with heatshrink.
Does anyone use a "conductive" grease in their crimps? This is a link to the one sold by sailors solution:

LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.

I've never used it but I'm thinking it would help with the corrosion issue but reduce the mechanical strenth of the crimp because of a reduction in friction?

281 - 286 of 286 Posts