SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've owned several BBQs, all either came with a boat or were bought at a swap meet for next to nothing, all were force 10s. I've had on and off problems with cloggages wind blowing them out etc.

The BBQ is an often ignored piece of gear that increases the cruising experience greatly. I've looked at some of the nicer models and scoffed at the prices, (and still do) but since it's such an important piece of gear, I'm ready to pony up and buy a nice one.

Which one do you like and why? All suggestions welcome!

MedSailor

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I have a Magma Newport and have been very happy with it. :) The latest revision of it comes with folding legs, so that it can be used as a shore picnic grill as well as rail mounted.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I currently have the small Force 10 and although I like the looks of it better it doesn't cook nearly as well as the Magma I had on my past boat.
To distribute heat more evenly and help with the blow outs I put a layer of lava rocks on a grate just above the burner.
Bill,

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Dickinson Sea-B-Que all the way! I read all the posts on marine grills I could find here on Sailnet before we bought ours. While Magmas got the most mentions the reviews were mixed, and there were a lot of negative comments on the round grills in particular. All the mentions of Sea-b-ques were positive so thats what we went with and ours is great. I got the small and it works great for us, but if I had more room both on the rail and for storage, I'd have gone for the bigger one. The heat is pretty even and reasonably controllable but you do have to watch it so it doesn't get too hot. I've never had any issue with it blowing out. It has a stand so you can take it ashore and cook out on a picnic table which makes it really versatile.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was disgusted with my Magma because it kept blowing out...then I tried angling the propane input downwind. It's never blown out since. (I think that's what you call 'operator error.') And I like everything else about the grill too. They come in 2 sizes and they keep there looks if you use a cover.

·
Pearson 303
410 Posts
Dickinson Sea-B-Que all the way! I read all the posts on marine grills I could find here on Sailnet before we bought ours. While Magmas got the most mentions the reviews were mixed, and there were a lot of negative comments on the round grills in particular. All the mentions of Sea-b-ques were positive so thats what we went with and ours is great. I got the small and it works great for us, but if I had more room both on the rail and for storage, I'd have gone for the bigger one. The heat is pretty even and reasonably controllable but you do have to watch it so it doesn't get too hot. I've never had any issue with it blowing out. It has a stand so you can take it ashore and cook out on a picnic table which makes it really versatile.

I second the Dickinson. We also have the small version. The thing cooks well and is built like a tank.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,364 Posts
I'm so disappointed in CD, this thread has been up for at least 24 hours and he has not responded yet, WTH is going on in the world today!?.

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
I'm so disappointed in CD, this thread has been up for at least 24 hours and he has not responded yet, WTH is going on in the world today!?.
I don't know, but I saw the grill below at my local specialty grocers and immediately thought of him. I know that we would totally put this on his boat, just need a custom arch mount for it...

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
We have a new Magma Kettle 2 in the original size. This one has the push-button lighter and hinged lid. We like it, and so far it's been working well. I haven't used others so I cannot compare, but this one seems to heat evenly and stays lit.

We chose it because it was lighter than many of the rectangular models from various manufacturers, but had most of the other features. Since we didn't plan to leave it on the rail all the time, light weight and compact size mattered. We wanted something that would be relatively easy to pull out of the locker and put on the rail. So far, that's been the case.
-J

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I use the Magma with coals. I have never had a problem with flames, or going out. The only down side is having someone anchored directly behind me. They always come to the bow with mouths drooling, and a begging look in their eye....just kidding. I won't light the grill with someone directly behind me. because of the ashes, and smoke......i2f

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,364 Posts
BTW...I purchased a pizza stone (per sailingdogs suggestion) and works great. Gonna try baking some flat bread soon.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
:) glad to help... :)
BTW...I purchased a pizza stone (per sailingdogs suggestion) and works great. Gonna try baking some flat bread soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts