SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,447 Posts
I think auticorrect changed Opti to option.

What's your thoughts on the differences to the sails? And how does the sailing in your area work with each of them?

Mark

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know nothing about this but North Sails says:
Sail Construction – XCut, Radial or Hybrid?
There’s also the construction method to consider when buying a new sail. Is it best to buy a radial sail, a crosscut sail, or a hybrid? Each of these construction types reacts in different ways to produce the sail’s shape, which in turn determines how well the sail performs. But understand that what matters most is not usually the particular construction itself. Instead, it’s how well a sail of that type responds in a particular sailor’s hands. This means that experience with a certain kind of sail counts greatly. If a sailor is accustomed to crosscut sails, how they react, and their shape, I’d suggest that this person buy another crosscut. The same is true for a sailor accustomed to how a radial sail reacts. He or she should probably stay with radial construction. There’s typically little to be accomplished by switching to a different cut. The performance gains from a new sail that you already know how to use will typically be far greater than the potential gains from a new sail that you must learn how to handle. Also, sticking to what you have experience with can often reduce frustration and so add greatly to the fun of sailing.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Written on the internet must be true. What a bunch of crap. It comes down to shape retention the radial will hold shape longer. The fibers are at a better angle and more panels. More seems closer together so better shape. On an opti there is not a lot of sail shape but the Radials the shape does look a bit better with less stress wrinkles at the corners. A radial will cost more because they are more work to build.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts