SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I just signed a contract to buy a 1979 Crown 34, basically the same boat as a San Juan 34. I have a question about the chain locker and ground tackle. This boat has no traditional hatch on deck to the chain locker that I am used to. All that is there is simply a small circular 4" deckplate to the chain locker (all ground tackle is missing and would need to be replaced). Are all of these boats like this? What are you guys doing for ground tackle? Windlass? I'd love to hear any thoughts on this, as this will be my largest sailboat thus far and this is the only part of the boat that has me befuddled.

·
Registered
599 Posts
If your chain locker is not pretty deep, I think you may find using a windlass is hard with just that hawsepipe hole in the deck. Our locker is not quite as deep as it really should be and it is helpful to be able to reach in & push the rode out from under the windlass and keep it from piling up to the point it starts to cause problems. We'd never be able to do that without the hatch opening.

·
Dirt Free
3,037 Posts
build a hatch over your chain locker. Getting a chain tangled is not that unusual and getting down below to straighten it out could be difficult if not dangerous in certain conditions.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,084 Posts
Anchor lockers were rare until into the 1980's on cruising boats and were non-existent on race boats like the Crown in those days. A simple 4" deck plate was the standard set up for a 34 footer back in thee 1950's- 60's and 70's. Typically there was a snap hook on the bottom of the deck plate that the anchor chain would hang from when stowed. In those days the standard set up was a three strand nylon rode with a length of chain equal to the length of the boat, so tangles and so chain getting tangled was not an issue.

Building an anchor locker can be done but it is no small task since you would need to reinforce the deck where you created the new opening. The anchor locker would need a bottom that would be above the waterline when heeled and would need a drain as well.

Boats like these did not have a windlass and there was not an easy way to retrofit one. Basically, you learned to lower and haul the anchor without one. Its not all that hard. (I am a 71 year old man who routinely raises and lowers the anchor on my 38 footer without a windlass.) Its all a matter of timing and planning.

Jeff

·
Dirt Free
3,037 Posts
Building an anchor locker can be done but it is no small task since you would need to reinforce the deck where you created the new opening. The anchor locker would need a bottom that would be above the waterline when heeled and would need a drain as well.
Jeff
Not all that difficult, a weekend job I've done three times.
Friday night - Cut out the deck. Build/mold the drain channel and canted bottom of the locker.
Saturday - Epoxy in the drain channel and canted locker bottom. Glass the hatch edges and hatch opening edges
Sunday - Drill drain hole just above the canted locker bottom. Fair and paint early in the morning, install hinges and latch Sunday night..

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,084 Posts
Not all that difficult, a weekend job I've done three times.
Friday night - Cut out the deck. Build/mold the drain channel and canted bottom of the locker.
Saturday - Epoxy in the drain channel and canted locker bottom. Glass the hatch edges and hatch opening edges
Sunday - Drill drain hole just above the canted locker bottom. Fair and paint early in the morning, install hinges and latch Sunday night..
You are a very fast man. It took me more than a weekend to remove an anchor locker lid, install a new core, glass the bottom of the core and hatch, and reinstall.

Jeff

Reactions: catspaw98422

·
Dirt Free
3,037 Posts
You are a very fast man. It took me more than a weekend to remove an anchor locker lid, install a new core, glass the bottom of the core and hatch, and reinstall.

Jeff
I have terrific back up :) and she does better glass work than me.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anchor lockers were rare until into the 1980's on cruising boats and were non-existent on race boats like the Crown in those days. A simple 4" deck plate was the standard set up for a 34 footer back in thee 1950's- 60's and 70's. Typically there was a snap hook on the bottom of the deck plate that the anchor chain would hang from when stowed. In those days the standard set up was a three strand nylon rode with a length of chain equal to the length of the boat, so tangles and so chain getting tangled was not an issue.

Boats like these did not have a windlass and there was not an easy way to retrofit one. Basically, you learned to lower and haul the anchor without one. Its not all that hard. (I am a 71 year old man who routinely raises and lowers the anchor on my 38 footer without a windlass.) Its all a matter of timing and planning.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts