SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
Anchor lockers were rare until into the 1980's on cruising boats and were non-existent on race boats like the Crown in those days. A simple 4" deck plate was the standard set up for a 34 footer back in thee 1950's- 60's and 70's. Typically there was a snap hook on the bottom of the deck plate that the anchor chain would hang from when stowed. In those days the standard set up was a three strand nylon rode with a length of chain equal to the length of the boat, so tangles and so chain getting tangled was not an issue.

Building an anchor locker can be done but it is no small task since you would need to reinforce the deck where you created the new opening. The anchor locker would need a bottom that would be above the waterline when heeled and would need a drain as well.

Boats like these did not have a windlass and there was not an easy way to retrofit one. Basically, you learned to lower and haul the anchor without one. Its not all that hard. (I am a 71 year old man who routinely raises and lowers the anchor on my 38 footer without a windlass.) Its all a matter of timing and planning.

Jeff

Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
Not all that difficult, a weekend job I've done three times.
Friday night - Cut out the deck. Build/mold the drain channel and canted bottom of the locker.
Saturday - Epoxy in the drain channel and canted locker bottom. Glass the hatch edges and hatch opening edges
Sunday - Drill drain hole just above the canted locker bottom. Fair and paint early in the morning, install hinges and latch Sunday night..
You are a very fast man. It took me more than a weekend to remove an anchor locker lid, install a new core, glass the bottom of the core and hatch, and reinstall.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.