SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sailor
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a cruise on the Patuxent next year for our club's extended cruise and would like to tap he group for some local knowledge.

Firstly, for years we have been going to Solomon's and never getting beyond, except for that cruise up to Vera's when she was still alive. That was a memorable occassion. Anyway, I have a feeling that there is much more to the Patuxent than those 2 meccas of sailing.

We are contemplating Mill Creek on the Southern Shore of the Patuxent. In reading an old cruising guide (1995) it looks like this is a pretty creek with good holding. Any comments about this would be appreciated!

We are also looking at Lewis Creek. This is the most uncertain of the creeks I am looking at. According to the 1995 Cruising guide, there is 8' of water in the entrance. But that was 14 years ago! There also looks to be a beach. I was thinking it woud be a great place to dinghy to for a swim in late June. How's the beach and water quality?

We are also looking at Battle Creek and hope to get close to that Cyprus Swamp / Refuge. Any comments here (besides slather on the bug repellant)?

We hope to stop at Sotterly Plantation for a tour, perhaps anchoring in the Patuxent and dinghying to the dock. Do they still have tours?

Rest assured, we will still stop at Veras and Solomon's. No visit to the Pax can go without! :D

I would appreciate any local knowlege of the area as well.

Thanks, in advance, for your comments!

Tod Herrick, Mandolin
Glenmar Sailing Association

·
Sailor
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you John. I particularly liked WWilson's response. Hementioned all of the sites I have selected (except Lewis Creek) which means that I made some good choices. Anxious to hear if anyone has had experience with Lewis Creek!

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
Tod,

I've never tried Lewis Ck. The entrance looks too shallow for my draft. It may be too shallow for your 5' (Bayfiled ?) draft as well. I see that once inside, 10-12 foot depths prevail. Let us know if you can make it over the "hump" and if 6'2" can follow.

Best,
Wayne

·
Sailor
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, if we end up going there I will let you know. I checked tides for the time of year we plan on going and find that high tide is around 7:20am and low is around 2:15pm. If it were reversed... Anyway, if there is anyone else out there with some local knowledge of Lewis Creek, I'd love to hear from you.

Tod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts