SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to replace an old pressurized alcohol stove/oven combo in an 20+ year old boat. (Without getting into the non-pressurized alcohol vs. propane debat...) Would you replace it with a new gimbled full 2-3 burner + oven unit? Or would you install a cook top with 2-3 burners and build out a cabinet below for a microwave?

I'm thinking it's more likely that 99.9% of the time I'd be reheating pre-made food that's out of the the fridge/icebox, rather than baking something in an actual oven. So it seems like a microwave would make more sense both in functionality and weight savings.

Can anyone weigh in with their experiences and opinions?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i have a micro but can only use it on shore power, thats why i have a grill, and CD is my idol. my stove is a non pressurized alky 2 burner

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
As noted, this isn't a space or heat question, it's a power question. Do you have the fairly beefy inverter and battery capacity to run even a 600 watt microwave for even 10 minutes? The process of inversion and the particular high draw of a microwave (with its combination of rotation motor and magnetron) makes them quite power-hungry.

I would have the microwave and a propane stovetop, but I'd probably get a pressure cooker for the stove top to reheat stuff or to keep it hot until dinner on the water.

Of course, you're talking to a guy who has carried a Coleman camp stove into the cockpit and put in on a plank with no-skid...Mmmm...boat breakfast...keep 'er level, dear!

Microwaves are great at dock.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
That explains a lot... and says it all... :laugher

i have a micro but can only use it on shore power, thats why i have a grill, and CD is my idol. my stove is a non pressurized alky 2 burner

·
Registered
407 Posts
Orgio non-pressurized stove or propane (if it's already plumbed) would be the way to go. Unless you have lots power generating capacity and the inverter to go with it.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
And exactly how are you going to bake that cherry pie or perhaps that pan of biscuits. Not having an oven isn't a proper choice in my opinion.:)

a grill if large enough works fine as an oven, just put a thermometer in it, you need to play with it more thou to keep the temp where you want it

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
We have a microwave on board - the only thing we use it for is popcorn.

All cooking and baking is done on a Force 10 stove (LPG). Microwaves as said in earlier posts are power-hungry little devils

1 - 9 of 9 Posts