SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
From a person that sails in 600' of water most of the time in Puget sound, I would not let an extra 4" of draft worry me. Instead of anchoring in 18' of water at high tide, you look for 19'. If you run aground with 6'4", you'd probably run aground with 6'! Heck, I've run aground with 5'4" a couple of times around here.

My big worry would be the bridge height vs draft issues. If the boat fits you needs, go for it, do not look back! We all have slightly different needs an wants in our boats. many will fit ea of our needs and wants.

marty

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
In regards to Billy's comment, re "cruise every nook and cranny of __________" There is something to be said for a decent size dinghy or kayak or equal that will allow you to "REALLY" get into the nooks and crannys etc. So as mentioned, you moor a bit farther out! No different than when I go to a shopping mall with my dually crewcab pickup. I am not able to park in all the compact slips. Well I could if I took up 4 of them!

While it may look like I am trying to argue. I'm really not, like all things, what is a problem for one, another may shrug and say, "oh well". I would rather have the slightly deeper draft, better sailing rig, and use a dinghy or equal to get to shore, granted a bit farther sometimes, but still, doable!

Bridge heights, like I said earlier, If you want to go somewhere, and the bridge clearance is shorter than the stick. You has some serious issues. Altho being too deep can be an issue to. I do not see that as big an issue, as long as I have a dinghy to use.

Marty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.