SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a beginner with a dream. That dream is to spend some months sailing a small boat through the Bahamas on a budget. I am currently learning more about sailing in England and plan to retire in 5 years with the knowledge to sail solo in the Bahamas. I am interested in any information about costs, what a boat costs(under 30 ft) bought in Florida and any recommended manufactures, how long one can stay in the islands and any other information I could use or sources of information? Your replies would help me make my dream a reality.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Costs for a boat in Florida are pretty much whatever you have to spend - Ive seen older but still well-found pocket cruisers for under $10,000.
Your biggest problem will likely be deciding which of the 100s of suitable boats appeals to you most - there seems to be a pocket cruiser for sale on every street corner in Florida.
Id say aside from overall quality and condition of the boat, draft should be one of your most important considerations - much of the Bahamas is inaccessible to anyone who draws more than 5 feet (Im refitting a twin-keel now for a Bahamas trip, and her 3''7" draft was one of the primary reasons I choose her)
I believe a 1-year cruising permit is $10 or $20 or something like that (can anyone confirm that?)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts