SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Granted I'm nowhere near tossing off lines and heading off, but one of the things the wife and I have discussed is crossing to Europe in the spring and coming back across to the Carib in the fall after the Hurricane season.

This seems to indicate that spending 6 months in Europe/Med is really not doable for someone with a US passport. Am I reading it correctly? (granted that you can spend half the time North Africa or maybe Turkey but you'd have to leave the Med w/o hitting anything on the Northern Shore.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 90 day pitfall can be circumvented by simply leaving the country (on the boat) from an authorized port of debarkation, have your passport stamped, sail out to the International imit, and return.

As posted earlier, both Croatia and Turkey are excellent cruising areas with much to offer. These countries are not part of the EU visa regim (shengen).

As a note, i have been living and cruising in europe for the past 13 years, and never once had an issue.

Happy sailing.

Mike

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
mike...I beleve that advice is wrong. You can reset the VAT timetable by leaving for a day...but not the Schengen....

"
  • A non-Schengen citizen is allowed to spend up to 90 days in one or more Schengen countries.
  • Once you have been in one or more Schengen countries for 90 days, you must remain outside ALL the Schengen countries for at least 90 days. So: “Only 3 months in every 6”."
I agree that a problem is unlikely...but the "letter of the law" is a bit different.
The Schengen Treaty

·
Adventure Travel Writer
11 Posts
I have been traveling as crew on a different boats (I'm writing a book) for the last 90 days in Europe. My current skipper left Europe for Turkey to help me and not to get into any problems with Greek authorities.

I now have another boat in Italy who wants me to crew for him, but my 90 days in a Schengen country are over. I'm willing to take the chance and fly from Turkey to Italy to meet the new skipper. My question is: What are the risks he is taking? Will he be fined if I'm found out?

I've sailed in Spain, Italy, and Greece for 90 days and not once did I have to show my passport to the port authorities. I'm currently in Turkey.

Some advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
I have been traveling as crew on a different boats (I'm writing a book) for the last 90 days in Europe. My current skipper left Europe for Turkey to help me and not to get into any problems with Greek authorities.

I now have another boat in Italy who wants me to crew for him, but my 90 days in a Schengen country are over. I'm willing to take the chance and fly from Turkey to Italy to meet the new skipper. My question is: What are the risks he is taking? Will he be fined if I'm found out?

I've sailed in Spain, Italy, and Greece for 90 days and not once did I have to show my passport to the port authorities. I'm currently in Turkey.

Some advice would be appreciated.
You don't need to show your passport when entering a Schengen country from another Schengen country. It is only stamped when first entering Schengen area and when finally leaving. My reading of the situation is that your 90 days has expired and if you try and re enter from Turkey you would be refused entry. Extending an expired Schengen Visa is, I believe, a difficult, time consuming and quite laborious task, without guarantee of success.

·
Water Lover
773 Posts
Isn't there a process for documenting that you left the zone, so as to be able to re-start the clock? Or is the problem that there's no evidence that you left while the visa was valid?

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Remember that the UK including Northern Island is not a Schengen country. If [ OK it is a big IF ] the weather coperates the West coast of Scotland offers magnificent cruising.

So plan your arrival in a Schengen state vist the UK resetting the clock and return south.

·
Senior in age only!!!
554 Posts
Remember that the UK including Northern Island is not a Schengen country. If [ OK it is a big IF ] the weather coperates the West coast of Scotland offers magnificent cruising.

So plan your arrival in a Schengen state vist the UK resetting the clock and return south.
Republic of Ireland remained outside the Schengen travel zone in order to maintain the traditional passport and visa free travel between the RoI and UK .
Enjoy the craic and come visit the fabulous cruising and midge :eek:free shores of Ireland if you get a chance.
Safe sailing

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Republic of Ireland remained outside the Schengen travel zone in order to maintain the traditional passport and visa free travel between the RoI and UK .
Enjoy the craic and come visit the fabulous cruising and midge :eek:free shores of Ireland if you get a chance.
Safe sailing
Oh well, thats me sorted. When the Schengen Visa runs out we just head off to the ROI and the UK. :)

·
Adventure Travel Writer
11 Posts
Thank you all for the advice as to where to go sailing :) I would love to visit UK and Ireland. However, there are no boats in that area that will be sailing in October. I wonder why? (I'm from California!)

Regarding the Schengen visa. I've been told so many different stories I'm thoroughly confused. The clock does not reset automatically if I leave the Schengen countries, I have to be out for 90 days (some say 30, others 60, I have no idea which is correct)

I've also been told that I could go to any Schengen Consulate (or Embassy) and ask for a visa to be allowed back in. There are 3 in Bodrum (Turkey, my current location) Austria, Germany and Finland, all are Schengen Countries. Tomorrow I'll walk into every single one of them to see if I can get a visa to return.

Otherwise, Europe is out of luck in my book. I'm thoroughly frustrated.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
You don't need to show your passport when entering a Schengen country from another Schengen country. It is only stamped when first entering Schengen area and when finally leaving. My reading of the situation is that your 90 days has expired and if you try and re enter from Turkey you would be refused entry. Extending an expired Schengen Visa is, I believe, a difficult, time consuming and quite laborious task, without guarantee of success.
Hi Andews,

You are right about stamping but on borders specially if you come by boat or airplane you have different approaches if you have an Identity card from a EC country or have a passport (out of EC).

With a Identity card you don't pass a control post but even if EC citizens with a Identity card were rarely controlled now (due to the number of illegal immigrants) they have sometimes to show the Identity card. Passport owners (and that means out of EC) have to pass on control posts and identity and passports are checked.

I would say that is a bit risky to take chances with that. She can be treated as an illegal immigrant working illegally.

Regards

Paulo

·
Adventure Travel Writer
11 Posts
I wonder just how strict they really are. When I arrived in Turkey, my skipper was told to report to the authorities, and they gave him 24 hours to do it. He then took my passport where it got stamped. I didn't even have to be there. The price of the entry visa with a permit for 90 days cost less than $10.00

Granted this is Turkey, not Europe and I'm sure people from Europe are not migrating illegally into Turkey. However, I wonder if I can do this:

Have my skipper (a French National) who can travel anywhere in Europe without a problem, just drop me off at any island in Greece. Once I'm in, they won't ask me for my passport as long as I'm in Europe. Just how much trouble can he get into? and further, how much trouble can my new skipper in Italy (who is also a French National) get into for having me on his boat knowing my permit has expired?

I've done none of the above but from what I read online, Americans abroad have little trouble moving about in Europe with their tourist visas expired. I even read of a guy who gets in and out of the several countries every 9 months or so without ever having to explain why his visa had expired. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts