SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Reaction score
What TQA said about solar panels and batteries and solar showers, although I'd carry at least 4 solar showers for 2 people (I Always like to have extras full on the deck and the cheap ones don't last too long). The dodger is also ESSENTIAL and a bimini and some way of fixing side curtains (it could be just an old bedsheet you tie up). When you get to the tropics you'll NEED sun protection if you're going to use your cockpit- and believe me, you will in the tropics! Otherwise, it looks good to go!

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Reaction score
Size is a relative thing. I think if you set up your boat so you have basic needs and comforts met (a very personal choice), a small boat can be great. I cruise on a 35ft boat with my wife and 2 kids. For me, the size is great and I could go smaller if I cruised as a couple. For us, the essentials are a good bed, galley with counter space and everything to cook nice meals, fridge and comfortable seating at the salon table and in the cockpit. To this I'd also add good ventilation and sun protection in the cockpit. You could try making a list with your wife of what you both feel you really need on the boat and then see if you can modify or fit them in your current boat. I suspect if you can't meet these needs with your current boat you'll soon be looking for another. Hopefully Veja (Albin 27) and Greg and Jill (Norsea 27) will chime in with their views on living on a small boat. Both have made it work remarkably well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.