SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· First String
868 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning to untie the lines in the fall of 2018.
As some of you know, I have purchased a 1981 C&C 30 MK 1 sloop. She was a mess but I got her for cheep. I have done a great deal of work and some up fit work, already. I need your help. I'm not sure how to proceed.
First I will give you a list of what I have done.

New dynemma life lines.
New 2gm20f Yanmar engine
New RACOR 500FG FUEL FILTER WATER SEPARATOR
New running rigging
New Hydrostatic PFDs
New Matrix AIS/GPS (GX2200)
New thru-hull's x 5
New LED steamer light
New LED cabin lights
New LED running lights
New LED anchor lights.
New AM/FM Radio
New Garmin Echo50s GPS
Rebuilt the Auto-helm 4000
ST50 wind direction and speed
ST50 depth and hull speed
All bulk heads checked
Chine plates inspected
Bottom cleaned and panted.
All cushions re-covered
Hillerange 3 burner, gimballed pressure alcohol stove "REBUILT" works great.

Boat tankage now
Starboard settee 18 water
V-birth 10 water
port holding 13 gal
Fuel 20 gal

What I am asking advise for on the following items that have not been addressed so for. Questions are what Brand, Size, Type, New, Used, Not needed ect.

Honda generator
Solar panels
wind generator
Water heater
Inverter
SSB with weather
EPIRB
Jack lines
cockpit cushions
Dodger
Dinghy
outboard motor
Monitor self-steering vane
windless anchor system
DVD player
refrigerator or build into the existing icebox a Yetti

Again what i'm looking for is advice on things that you think I need or don't need. Things you will need to know to help.
1) "It will be my wife and I"
2)"We will be harbor hopping up and down the eastern seaboard" we will end up in the Caribbean and Bahama's
3)"She will want to see movies in the evenings.
4) She does want to keep cool food for 4 to 5 days".
5) "She wants hot water".

Here is the other thing. She has asked me if I thing its going to be big enough? Is it too small? I told her is the maintenance and overall cost is a lot better on a 30 foot boat. But I screwed up and Chartered the 36 I down in the BVI this past spring. She thinks that boat was much better in size. Well the problem is that my boat is paid for and I don't have money for another larger boat in the budget. So the other question I don't want to ruin her wanting to sail with me because the boat is too small. Should I start looking and making a plan with a larger boat? I would hate to keep up-fitting this boat if she will never be happy on it. I am around 10 grand into this boat. All the other items if put into this boat, the boat will never be recouped if sold.

P.S She is a all hank on boat.
2 main sail's
114% reefing head sail
135% gen
155% gen
170% drifter
and a Asymmetrical in a sock.
All line's led to cockpit. Still a lot of work.

Thanks again for your advise.
LT

· First String
868 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
refrigerator or build into the existing icebox a Yetti ?

4) She does want to keep cool food for 4 to 5 days".

I could do like 2 more batteries for the house and charge them once in a while. We did that while we were in the BVI. We had good power while on the hook at night.

All good points

· First String
868 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds like your wife wasn't part of the restoration process? If I remember correctly, you've been at it for a while. Plenty of time to determine if the size is sufficient. If you don't have the money for a larger boat, I'm not sure what you can do other than hope she's willing to live with what you have. Also, I'd probably not count on getting what you put into the boat if you sell it. It might happen, but that's not the norm.
Your right that it will never return my money. But not right on her being there. She has helped me a great deal on the refit and in-fact we are working on this project together. "I think that is fantastic" Its great when she brings things up that we need to do or think about. She is finely on board. We may be able to squeeze out some money for a larger boat if needed? But the first year we will use this one for sure. I just don't want to sink precious sailing kitty into getting a bigger boat and refitting it again. Thanks for your incite.

· First String
868 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

For us, we'd rather have a slightly smaller boat with comfortable costs than a large boat with costs that make us afraid to spend any money for fear we won't have it when something on the boat breaks. Everyone approaches it differently, however. If you and your wife are communicating well with each other, you'll figure it out together.
Great point here. I don't want to be boat poor. I want to be able to see the sights and visit the ports without being cash poor. If we size up it may put a cramp in that style. We are both very frugal and do well gathering cash she will be doing software from time to time. I will be doing transportation training as a consultant, to help fill the gap. I will be 55 she will be 54 when we leave so when we get tired in say 5 or 6 years into it we can just come home and retire.
We do communicate well, "my wife and I" So I think it will be fine. I just wanted some feedback of the up-size, don't up-size issue and if it would make it seam more like a home to up-fit with the for mentioned items. I want her to feel safe and comfortable and not want to go home.
I don't want to make her feel like she is on a camping trip.
:eek:

· First String
868 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm glad she's been working with you. Don't forget that after you eventually buy the bigger boat, your expenses and maintenance costs are going way up. 30 is at some kind of weird fence where once you tip over into the other side, the costs aren't in small increments. I'm gathering that 40 is the same. I'm trying to keep our next boat, on which we'll spend most of each year living on, under that 40 mark.

For us, we'd rather have a slightly smaller boat with comfortable costs than a large boat with costs that make us afraid to spend any money for fear we won't have it when something on the boat breaks. Everyone approaches it differently, however. If you and your wife are communicating well with each other, you'll figure it out together.
So your 30 footer, does it seam too small?

· First String
868 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Itgoshen, You and I are in the same (figurative) boat. Our schedule for Mexico is 2015 or 2016 and we are close from the boat preparation standpoint (I really need to write down my projects list!) From a size standpoint, we are a little bigger and MrsB would love a 42 footer. But like you it is a case of go small go now or go large and perhaps go never. I'm having to be a bit creative in making my boat "feel" bigger. You need to be a bit more creative. Jon Eisberg will do back flips, but I'm planning on jerry jugs and dinghy as "deck cargo". I encourage you to do a lot of weekending and weekly trips to winnow out what is needed, nice to have or don't bother. MrsB is fond of saying "the boat shrinks a foot every couple of days." What you don't have on your list is an upgraded electrical charging system. Hand in hand you will want to work out an energy budget as you will be surprised how many electrons you will consume each day at sea. We are forgoing the wind generator and monitor and instead doing solar and autohelm. We have refrigeration and hot water and heartily recommend both. An SSB is going to set you back a few kilo bucks and probably not needed where you're going (MrsB insists that I remain connected so I'm going the Sailmail route.

Good food for thought! Let's stay connected and continue to share thoughts and ideas.
Your quite right on the power thing. I don't mind invest in in 2 house battery's. I'm not sure how much is needed and how to calculate that stuff. We have a lot to learn in the area of consumption / production on electricity. I hope this fall and winter we will go away for a few days here and there to Charleston and Savannah, to get a better feel of how much power is needed to gunk hole 3 to 4 nights at a time. Thanks for your help. I have a long way to go and I have a great sense of urgency. I need to go...

· First String
868 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
. I have a couple of energy budget spreadsheets in excel that I can sent you. West Marine has an example as does the Pacific cup web site. I think power at anchor is simple (just keep the solar panels pointed towards the sun).
please send them any help I can get at this point will be great. Power consumption i need to learn how to count it. How to calculate its
usage and replenishment.

· First String
868 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hey Ron, I have a
Hillerange 3 burner, gimballed pressure alcohol stove "REBUILT" works great.

I have a stainless bbq grill. "charcoal" thinking of going to a little spin on gas canisters. I will trade up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.