SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score

Here is the other thing. She has asked me if I thing its going to be big enough? Is it too small? I told her is the maintenance and overall cost is a lot better on a 30 foot boat. But I screwed up and Chartered the 36 I down in the BVI this past spring. She thinks that boat was much better in size. Well the problem is that my boat is paid for and I don't have money for another larger boat in the budget. So the other question I don't want to ruin her wanting to sail with me because the boat is too small. Should I start looking and making a plan with a larger boat? I would hate to keep up-fitting this boat if she will never be happy on it. I am around 10 grand into this boat. All the other items if put into this boat, the boat will never be recouped if sold.
It sounds like your wife wasn't part of the restoration process? If I remember correctly, you've been at it for a while. Plenty of time to determine if the size is sufficient. If you don't have the money for a larger boat, I'm not sure what you can do other than hope she's willing to live with what you have. Also, I'd probably not count on getting what you put into the boat if you sell it. It might happen, but that's not the norm.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
Your right that it will never return my money. But not right on her being there. She has helped me a great deal on the refit and in-fact we are working on this project together. "I think that is fantastic" Its great when she brings things up that we need to do or think about. She is finely on board. We may be able to squeeze out some money for a larger boat if needed? But the first year we will use this one for sure. I just don't want to sink precious sailing kitty into getting a bigger boat and refitting it again. Thanks for your incite.
I'm glad she's been working with you. Don't forget that after you eventually buy the bigger boat, your expenses and maintenance costs are going way up. 30 is at some kind of weird fence where once you tip over into the other side, the costs aren't in small increments. I'm gathering that 40 is the same. I'm trying to keep our next boat, on which we'll spend most of each year living on, under that 40 mark.

For us, we'd rather have a slightly smaller boat with comfortable costs than a large boat with costs that make us afraid to spend any money for fear we won't have it when something on the boat breaks. Everyone approaches it differently, however. If you and your wife are communicating well with each other, you'll figure it out together.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
So your 30 footer, does it seam too small?
No. But we don't live on it and we're not on it for a week or so at a stretch without putting into a marina or anchoring. That's what the next boat is for. Our 30 footer is perfect for how and where we sail now. You may feel differently on your boat depending on your needs and lifestyle.

Also, I don't consider it camping because we choose to not live like that when on the boat. We eat well, we have what we need to keep us occupied when at anchor or after docking. After a long sail I love anchoring and watching the sunset with a glass of wine and a good meal. If I wanted to go camping I'd find the closest forest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.