SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,102 Posts
Reaction score
Itgoshen, You and I are in the same (figurative) boat. Our schedule for Mexico is 2015 or 2016 and we are close together from the boat preparation standpoint (I really need to write down my projects list!) From a size standpoint, we are a little bigger and MrsB would love a 42 footer. But like you it is a case of go small, go now or go large and perhaps go never. I’m having to be a bit creative in making my boat “feel” bigger. You need to be a bit more creative. Jon Eisberg will do back flips, but I’m planning on jerry jugs and dinghy as “deck cargo”. I encourage you to do a lot of weekending and weekly trips to winnow out what is needed, nice to have or don’t bother. MrsB is fond of saying “the boat shrinks a foot every couple of days.” What you don’t have on your list is an upgraded electrical charging system. Hand in hand you will want to work out an energy budget as you will be surprised how many electrons you will consume each day at sea. We are forgoing the wind generator and monitor and instead doing solar and autohelm. We have refrigeration and hot water and heartily recommend both. An SSB is going to set you back a few kilo bucks and probably not needed where you’re going (MrsB insists that I remain connected so I’m going the Sailmail route.

Good food for thought! Let’s stay connected and continue to share thoughts and ideas.

· Registered
2,102 Posts
Reaction score
Every year, different friends of ours take off for south of the border and their last year is always consumed by massive boat projects. They often are in a mad dash to get them completed in San Diego when they ought to be sampling the last bit of ****** culture before the border. It is never too early to be prepping your boat. Your sense of urgency is really smart thinking IMHO. I have a couple of energy budget spreadsheets in excel that I can sent you. West Marine has an example as does the Pacific cup web site. I think power at anchor is simple (just keep the solar panels pointed towards the sun). The hard part is those overnight to multi day passages where in addition to your house loads (Refrigeration will “cost” you 2.5 – 4 amps per hour depending upon your insulation and ambient temperatures), you will be running a chart plotter, radio, instruments, lights, etc. It adds up in a hurry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.