SailNet Community banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· First String
868 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Itgoshen, You and I are in the same (figurative) boat. Our schedule for Mexico is 2015 or 2016 and we are close from the boat preparation standpoint (I really need to write down my projects list!) From a size standpoint, we are a little bigger and MrsB would love a 42 footer. But like you it is a case of go small go now or go large and perhaps go never. I'm having to be a bit creative in making my boat "feel" bigger. You need to be a bit more creative. Jon Eisberg will do back flips, but I'm planning on jerry jugs and dinghy as "deck cargo". I encourage you to do a lot of weekending and weekly trips to winnow out what is needed, nice to have or don't bother. MrsB is fond of saying "the boat shrinks a foot every couple of days." What you don't have on your list is an upgraded electrical charging system. Hand in hand you will want to work out an energy budget as you will be surprised how many electrons you will consume each day at sea. We are forgoing the wind generator and monitor and instead doing solar and autohelm. We have refrigeration and hot water and heartily recommend both. An SSB is going to set you back a few kilo bucks and probably not needed where you're going (MrsB insists that I remain connected so I'm going the Sailmail route.

Good food for thought! Let's stay connected and continue to share thoughts and ideas.
Your quite right on the power thing. I don't mind invest in in 2 house battery's. I'm not sure how much is needed and how to calculate that stuff. We have a lot to learn in the area of consumption / production on electricity. I hope this fall and winter we will go away for a few days here and there to Charleston and Savannah, to get a better feel of how much power is needed to gunk hole 3 to 4 nights at a time. Thanks for your help. I have a long way to go and I have a great sense of urgency. I need to go...

· Registered
2,102 Posts
Reaction score
Every year, different friends of ours take off for south of the border and their last year is always consumed by massive boat projects. They often are in a mad dash to get them completed in San Diego when they ought to be sampling the last bit of ****** culture before the border. It is never too early to be prepping your boat. Your sense of urgency is really smart thinking IMHO. I have a couple of energy budget spreadsheets in excel that I can sent you. West Marine has an example as does the Pacific cup web site. I think power at anchor is simple (just keep the solar panels pointed towards the sun). The hard part is those overnight to multi day passages where in addition to your house loads (Refrigeration will “cost” you 2.5 – 4 amps per hour depending upon your insulation and ambient temperatures), you will be running a chart plotter, radio, instruments, lights, etc. It adds up in a hurry.

· Administrator
Beneteau 393
10,256 Posts
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much is needed and how to calculate that stuff. We have a lot to learn in the area of consumption / production on electricity.
Look, this may sound crazy to someone not "out there" but you cant determine, and I doubt you should now.

Its only when you are aboard for months do you see, and feel, how your electrics and everything else can cope.

Things change so much. In inly a year soemthing ,ay drop, or raise, in price s much it makes last years calculations plain wrong.

Its probably best to go to sea and see. And then buy what you need when you get there, not before.

Americans are lucky because your first cruising jaunts are close to good shops to buy the kit you now realise is necessary.

· Registered
4,538 Posts
Reaction score
Water treatment and filtration. Did birds poop on your rain catchment? Does the wife like the taste of the tank water?

The correct answer varies with your needs, but it is NOT a carbon filter from Home Depot or West Marine.

Otherwise, you're talking about a lot of bottled water and washing your plates and vegies with questionable water.

· Super Moderator
4,244 Posts
Reaction score
On your to do list I would say yes to:

The dodger
The jack-lines, not a big expense.
The refrigeration.. add to existing ice box if properly insulated.
Solar
The dinghy and outboard.
And perhaps the windless

If she wants Hot water...you better give her hot water.
Inverter..evaluate your needs after you travel a bit.

Not necessary:

Custom Cockpit cushions $$ ( you can use those portable WM cushions.)
SSB is not necessary for coastal cruising.
Same for Wind Vane
DVD players are dirt cheap..so buy one if you want.
Epirbs you can rent...if needed when you go offshore

I would get a roller furling..it will make life a lot easier

I wouldn't buy anything until you know that this is the boat. I would postpone as much as I could until it's closer to the time you leave, unless you'll use it immediately.

For instance..there's no sense to having a Dinghy and a motor sitting around for 4 years unused.

· First String
868 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
. I have a couple of energy budget spreadsheets in excel that I can sent you. West Marine has an example as does the Pacific cup web site. I think power at anchor is simple (just keep the solar panels pointed towards the sun).
please send them any help I can get at this point will be great. Power consumption i need to learn how to count it. How to calculate its
usage and replenishment.

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
If you already have a propane stove then a propane bbq is a logical choice. Charcoal IS a pita on a boat.

If you stay in areas where fuel and water is readily available, battery charging will be your biggest need, I suspect.

· First String
868 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hey Ron, I have a
Hillerange 3 burner, gimballed pressure alcohol stove "REBUILT" works great.

I have a stainless bbq grill. "charcoal" thinking of going to a little spin on gas canisters. I will trade up.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.