SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Canadian planning on buying a boat in San Francisco and sailing it to Mexico. I will register it in Canada but I need a cruising permit and they want you to enter the country from a foreign country before applying for one.
Anyone have any ideas on how to do this without sailing to Canada and back.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
I assume you mean a US cruising permit? We bought our boat in Rhode Island and were living aboard in NYC while the boat went through the process of being delisted by the US Coast Guard and then being registered in Canada. I went to the local office (the container port in Newark as it turned out) and explained the situation. They wondered if I had just arrived in town (it was January) but issued the permit without a problem.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I don't know what you plan to do after you sail to Mexico but if you plan to return to the US and never intend to bring it to Canada keep the US state registration. If you do not plan to return with it to the US delay the Canadian registration until you're in Mexico.

The US cruising permit is a real hassle and will cause you no end of grief, especially if you plan to return to the USA. My advice is for you to avoid having to get one if at all possible.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I don't know what you plan to do after you sail to Mexico but if you plan to return to the US and never intend to bring it to Canada keep the US state registration. If you do not plan to return with it to the US delay the Canadian registration until you're in Mexico.

The US cruising permit is a real hassle and will cause you no end of grief, especially if you plan to return to the USA. My advice is for you to avoid having to get one if at all possible.
I don't think you can enter Mexico on a state registration.

·
Dirt Free
2,933 Posts
What kind of grief are you talking about ? I have about 30 US cruising permits under my belt and have never had a single problem.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
ebs-
"keep the US state registration."
Aside from that being fraudulent and illegal if he's really not a resident (Canadia isn't part of SF, eh?) Cali will hit him up for sales tax and try to own him and the boat. Or haven't you seen the many complaints about Cali wanting blood out of rocks?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
ebs-
"keep the US state registration."
Aside from that being fraudulent and illegal if he's really not a resident (Canadia isn't part of SF, eh?) Cali will hit him up for sales tax and try to own him and the boat. Or haven't you seen the many complaints about Cali wanting blood out of rocks?
It is not illegal. He will not be able to document the vessel but he can maintain his state registration. If he registers the boat in California they will require him to pay state tax that part is true but no more than a California resident.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
What kind of grief are you talking about ? I have about 30 US cruising permits under my belt and have never had a single problem.
You must return your boat to Canada if not you have been illegally getting a renewal permit.

While travelling you must report in to the Coast Guard. This requirement varies by location but in Florida you have to report every day you move. You have to be out of the USA for 14 days after your cruising permit expires to be eligible to get a new permit which means your return date has to be 2 weeks later each year. If you decide to be away from your boat for more than a year while it's stored in the USA you cannot get a renewal permit until you take the boat out of the US. In the meantime you will be travelling illegally.

Failure to have a permit $10,000

Failure to report $5,000

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
who says you cant enter mexico with state registration?

most enter this way...

its a very small percentage that have documented vessels

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I'm a Canadian planning on buying a boat in San Francisco and sailing it to Mexico. I will register it in Canada but I need a cruising permit and they want you to enter the country from a foreign country before applying for one.
Anyone have any ideas on how to do this without sailing to Canada and back.
what country are you refferig to?

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Looking at Killarney's post, I'm wondering...

Is it possible to register the boat in Canada without it being IN Canada?

What I'm thinking is, Delist from the US Coast Guard if it's documented, register in Canada, then adjust the hailing port as appropriate, then go get the US Cruising permit. If they ask if you just got into the country, just say yes.

Killarney, Is this pretty much how you did it? Sounds like it could work. I don't know, I'm just guessing.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
You should not have trouble getting a cruising permit and if you intend to leave the US within one year there should not be an issue. Don't know about Mexico but there are countries that will not accept US state or Canadian provincial registration for entry.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yeah but not mexico unless this has changed in the last 5 years or so...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Another problem one can run into if you register the boat in Canada and the boat was not made in North America, you will have to pay duty. If you import the boat into Canada you will have to pay duty and then when you take it back to the USA to sell you will pay duty again.

·
Dirt Free
2,933 Posts
... so why do you register a boat in Canada, if you live in the U.S.

What is the benefits?
Only a Canadian citizen or Canadian Corporation can register a boat is Canada
Only a US citizen or US corporation can document a boat in the US

US documentation = Canadian registration

No duties or taxes are due in Canada until the boat hits Canadian waters and yes the boat can be Canadian Registered without ever being in Canada.

·
Dirt Free
2,933 Posts
You must return your boat to Canada if not you have been illegally getting a renewal permit.

While travelling you must report in to the Coast Guard. This requirement varies by location but in Florida you have to report every day you move. You have to be out of the USA for 14 days after your cruising permit expires to be eligible to get a new permit which means your return date has to be 2 weeks later each year. If you decide to be away from your boat for more than a year while it's stored in the USA you cannot get a renewal permit until you take the boat out of the US. In the meantime you will be travelling illegally.
1. Federal law does not vary by location. This is a bit of a grey area as all my cruising permits say I must check in with each regional office as I pass through that region. however, one paragraph later it says once I have checked in, I no longer need to report. The first few times (many years ago) that I did check in to regional USCG offices they were puzzled as to why I was bothering them. So for the last 30 years I checked in once when I entered the country choosing to believe the second paragraph on my cruising permit rather than the first.

2. True, it is a great inconvenience to hop across to the Bahamas for a couple of weeks each year :). You can get exemptions to the one year rule if your boat is undergoing repairs.

·
Registered
24,498 Posts
We have two Canadians in our marina, that I know of, that keep there boat here, in part, to avoid taxes in Canada. They register their boats in RI. Of course, they don't go to Mexico, but these boats have been here for years. Not sure how they get away with the cruising permit thing. I will ask them, if I think of it.

One of the boats seems to be owned by several families that each use it for a couple of weeks over the summer. Sort of a floating water front vacation home in the States. It's probably a cost effective idea, however, their boat is far from Bristol condition. They treat it more like disposable. I hear its rather moldy and gross down below, although, it just looks unwaxed or properly maintained above. I will not be surprised, if they haven't even considered the legality. By the way, they haven't even launched yet this year.

·
Dirt Free
2,933 Posts
We have two Canadians in our marina, that I know of, that keep there boat here, in part, to avoid taxes in Canada. They register their boats in RI. Of course, they don't go to Mexico, but these boats have been here for years. Not sure how they get away with the cruising permit thing. I will ask them, if I think of it.

One of the boats seems to be owned by several families that each use it for a couple of weeks over the summer. Sort of a floating water front vacation home in the States. It's probably a cost effective idea, however, their boat is far from Bristol condition. They treat it more like disposable. I hear its rather moldy and gross down below, although, it just looks unwaxed or properly maintained above. I will not be surprised, if they haven't even considered the legality. By the way, they haven't even launched yet this year.
There is no law against a foreigner owning a State Registered vessel and as long as the registration is current it can stay in US waters for ever. Take a look around Lake Champlain ..... hundreds of State Registered boats owned by Montrealers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts