SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I recently (March 2008) a San Juan 34. My question is what does everyone think of this boat for world cruising.

·
19,489 Posts
The SJ 34, originally produced in BC as the Crown 34 (and a forerunner to the Sceptre 36) is a pretty typical IOR influenced 70s/80s cruiser/racer. Large foretriangle, skinny mains do not make for the most well behaved downwind performers esp in a breeze.

Though fine as coastal cruisers, especially with some amenities added over the course of time, I don't think they'd be high on the list of ultimate ocean-going boats. That's not to say it can't be done, or hasn't been done.

We own a similar sized/vintage boat of average or better build quality, and if contemplating offshore work don't think we'd stick with this one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The San Juan 34 is virtually the same boat as the Crown 34. There is a very strong owner's group for this boat and more info can be had from them. The boat can come either as tiller or wheel steered, sails favorably to it's rating and is solidly built.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
12+ year old thread revived from the dead. The OP's last post here was 11 years ago.

Nonetheless, I used to own a Clark-made San Juan 23, and have a soft spot in my heart for them, so...

The San Juans are well made boats, that sail very nicely. I liked mine quite a lot, and for coastal cruising or racing/cruising (which is what it was really designed for) the 34 would be a great boat.

But take a look at the design. Virtually no bilge. Extremely limited storage space. Minimal tankage. Just ask yourself where you are going to put all of the food and water that you will need for an ocean crossing. There isn't anywhere. Install a watermaker to make up for the lack of tankage? Where would that go? Nowhere.

I suppose there might be a way to make it work, but this is absolutely NOT a boat that was designed for crossing oceans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts