SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Boat to listen to dolphin
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 36' sailing catamaran at a home marina in Hollywood FL. I am planning a number of trips in the south Florida area and the Bahamas to observe and record data on dolphins and would like to find like-minded people, interested in dolphins to crew for me and help with data collection.
This is not a "swim-with" effort. I hope to collect photos and sound recordings of dolphins that we encounter from the boat.
The trips will be for one to two weeks at a time and will generally originate in the Ft Lauderdale area.
If you have interest in dolphins and sailing with time to spare, you could be a candidate for time at sea. Positive attitude, interest in science, sailing experience all favorable attributes.
Let me know if you're interested.
RBrown

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My current interests are personal and focused on refining my recording and camera equipment.

·
sailing soon
813 Posts
It might be good to also note what expenses if any the crew should be able to pay for, and what the Captain, presumably yourself, would pay for, as well as the make and possibly a few photos of the boat.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Oh, "Observe and record 'data' on dolphins" means recording pictures onto data cards. Thank you for clarifying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When are the dates you are planning your trip. I live in West Palm Beach and have a flexible schedule. Some sailing experience but a quick learner. Sounds like a cool adventure!

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be making a number of trips in August and Sept. if interested, send me an email with your contact info.

·
TROUBLE
964 Posts
I have a 36' sailing catamaran at a home marina in Hollywood FL. I am planning a number of trips in the south Florida area and the Bahamas to observe and record data on dolphins and would like to find like-minded people, interested in dolphins to crew for me and help with data collection.
We love dolphins, but guess what? The only place we saw them (in the Bahamas) was in George Town. That was in two months of cruising from Bimini to George Town. I am curious and wonder if this is normal? The months were May thru June.

Not seeing any on the Banks side, I wonder if they are only on the Sound side? We did see many rays and nurse sharks.

We were anchored off Monument Point near George Town, and had a mother and her little one swim around the boat for about two hours, two days in a row.

The only other one we saw, once again, hung around for quite awhile. We think it might have been sick! A couple of times, it would surface and make a loud "coughing" sound. I've never heard a sound, other than the normal exhale from any dolphin before. Any ideas?

Ralph
Temporary home | sailing away with R & B

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Earlier in May, I had many Dolphin with me for miles and miles in the stretch from just south of Frying Pan Shoals into Charleston. The sea is alive with flying fish, tuna, and Dolphin all through there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think this sounds great. I am very interested in science and recently seen my first dolphin in real life. . . . . which ended up being a pod of about 40. . .was amazing. they are amazing creatures. very curious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think this sounds great. I am very interested in science and recently seen my first dolphin in real life. . . . . which ended up being a pod of about 40. . .was amazing. they are amazing creatures. very curious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, sounds cool! I have some sailing experience and spent a month doing dolphin research in Mozambique a few years ago. I just moved back to Key Largo and have some free time. If you're still looking for people let me know. Thanks!

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I am looking for people. Let me know if you would like to hear more. Roger 5039708959 would love to share my ideas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,

My name Bert Wortel, reside orlando.
Would love to sail with you any time. Here is a small profile of me.
Am a 76 yr young healthy workaholic who loves to be on the water.
Own a small sailboat presently and have owned other boats.
Have sailed from a 44 ft islander to a 16 ft compac and any in between.ASA 106 presently.
Retired marine engineer, steamed around the world many times. Loves to travel.
available all winter and spring, except november.
Would like to further explore this further.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This sounds like an interesting prospect. Do you have any dates that you are thinking of going? I have a decent bit of sailing experience.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts