SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TROUBLE
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For now we are not documented. This has not been an issue entering the Bahamas, but I'm not finding much about entering the D.R., P.R., and on down the Islands to Trinidad. Mostly, I see the "ships documents" part about checking in, but nothing more specific on Noonsite (that I noticed, and realize I may have missed something). Is cruising the Caribbean with a state titled vessel going to complicate life? As far as I know, this boat has never been documented. I can find the previous owner, but not sure about previous owners before him.

Just trying to get the ducks lined up in case we manage to get past George Town next time we cross the Stream. At this point, I've got a year to work on this, but I know it's a rather slow process. To be clear, we are a U.S. vessel, titled in Texas. BTW, I did do a search "titled or documented". Nothing recent that I could find.

Ralph

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Don't understand why you wouldn't blow a couple of hundred bucks and just get the boat documented or if title is clean and you have a builders certificate just do it yourself.
Just need one customs officer who had a fight with their spouse to ruin your whole day.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have sailed the Caribbean on boats that were documented, state registered, BVI registered and UK registered and as long as I had a document that stated the boat was registered somewhere everything was OK. About 20 countries so far!

However, they often want to see the original. I know people who ran into trouble with photostats.

Phil

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,588 Posts
I think you need propper registration.

Some of these countries are high on individual officers authority and if someone takes a dislike to having an illegal boat (or what to them appears illegal) in their country you could be in real trouble.

Racism against the USA and other Western Countries can verge on the despotically rediculous... The BVIs, for instance, have the rudest, most arrogant Customs and Immigration in the WORLD. Some take it as a personal insult that you are trying to walk over their countries sovereignty.

Go figure!

So its good to have all your Admin squeaky clean.

Mark

·
TROUBLE
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So its good to have all your Admin squeaky clean.
I agree, but don't understand why a clean certificate of title issued by the state of Texas would be anything less than squeaky clean? Same as the title to our dinghy, and the Mercury engine for the dink.

I guess, the problem comes up when a Customs guy is used to seeing papers for a documented vessel, and I show a title instead? What do cruisers from other countries show for their ships papers? Obviously they are not USCG Documented.

I'm currently waiting for new passports to arrive, since the old ones are about to expire. I might as well get the ball rolling to get the boat documented, if that is what is expected in the Islands.

Ralph

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I'm documented. Apon entering BVI had friendly customs agent at gun creek. Had boat imported in November with leave date in May to save hassle and expense going back and forth to US virgins,Culubra, St. Maarten etc.
At slip in road town newbie agent boarded boat. Had guests on boat from another boat wanted me to present their passports. Explained they were not my crew and their passports were on their boat. Wanted to see all ships papers. Gave me a bucket of poop. Didn't understand importation . Didn't want to believe not my crew
Fortunately, his supervisor was checking stuff on another boat on the dock. He walked over and explained everything to newbie. Guests allowed to leave. Importation accepted. No ruffled feathers.
Through it all I said a lot of yes sir and yes mam.
When I go to customs always brush my teeth, shave and put on a clean collared shirt with no writing or pictures on it. Think it helps.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Much discussed topic.

You need the Federal documentation. Sure the Bahamas will accept state and you will get away with state some of the time.

But meet an officer suffering from 'epaulitis' and you will be in a world of hurt. Expect to be denied entry, maybe fined and given 24 hours to leave.

In the French islands there was a case where the skipper who was not the owner changed crew there and the official spotted the state registration. They seized the boat levied a substantial fine jailed and then deported the skipper.

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,588 Posts
I agree, but don't understand why a clean certificate of title issued by the state of Texas would be anything less than squeaky clean?

Ralph
Hi Ralph,

I think you may be a bit confused here... Its nothing to do with 'title'. Its the official piece of paper from your country to tell every other country that your boat is American (or whatever).

Its like your boats passport. Its a doc for international travel.

You have a Drivers Licence for your car and you can get on an aircraft in the USA with a drivers license as identification, right? NO! You can only get on a domestic plane. For planes heading overseas you require your passport.

Other countries couldnt give a tinker cuss about Texas, many will not have heard of most states in the USA, so Texas paperwork means nothing :)

:)

Mark

·
TROUBLE
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have sailed the Caribbean on boats that were documented, state registered, BVI registered and UK registered and as long as I had a document that stated the boat was registered somewhere everything was OK. About 20 countries so far!

However, they often want to see the original. I know people who ran into trouble with photostats.

Phil
Thanks, Phil. I know of others that have cruised extensively (Jim Cate for one, at CF) without documenting their boat. I guess it just depends on where you land? Maybe "documentation" takes the guesswork out of the picture?

Ralph

·
TROUBLE
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
A common affliction of Texans! :)
I have some good company here. Where is smack when you need him? These guys are picking on me.;)

Hey, It's 70* and sunny. I need to go wash down my deck. How's it in N.Y and M.N., you boneheads? :D

Ralph

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
I have some good company here. Where is smack when you need him? These guys are picking on me.;)

Hey, It's 70* and sunny. I need to go wash down my deck. How's it in N.Y and M.N., you boneheads? :D

Ralph
Well it is about 18 and we had a wonderful fall of about a foot of snow last night. I must admit I am disappointed as I was hoping for at least 30 inches.

Just the way I like it. Come July see who is uncomfortable!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts

Ralph
Well it is about 18 and we had a wonderful fall of about a foot of snow last night. I must admit I am disappointed as I was hoping for at least 30 inches.

Lucky! I've been envying your snow. We've had a week of unseasonably warm temps (well above freezing) so have sadly lost almost all our snow. Last Thursday a truck went through the ice on the lake where I keep my boat! You wouldn't catch me driving around on the ice when it's 40º...

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Wife at our home in plymouth MA and has been plowed out 3 times. Drifts to tops of windows. 75mph winds. She's pissed I'm in bvi. She can't run snowblower to clear path to front door. But she'll be back,here within a week.
I had to shower twice today. Sweat too much doing boat projects.

·
TROUBLE
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hey, I was just messin with you guys.

We live aboard, so the cold sucks, even here in Texas. Cooking and breathing produces a lot of condensation inside. Not fun. Definitely, we're in the Tropics next winter.

I was concerned that summer would be really uncomfortable, but here in Galveston it was mostly upper 80*'s, with a nice 10-15 out of the south, so nice with a fan in the V-birth for sleeping. This winter has proven to be way less enjoyable, with temps dropping into the thirty's a couple of times. You guys can have your snow.

Ralph

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will be traveling with state reg as I am Canadian and own a us registered boat (live in US) with my American wife, can not get us document with my name on it and don't want Canadian as could not do it with wife's name on it and would also need cruising permit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.