SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
During my brief visit to Guatemala I got to observe and ask a lot of questions. The way my daughters boyfriend explained it was interesting.
He is a martial arts instructor besides being a security chief and ex military. So he has made it his business his whole life to think about security and protection.
I asked what he would do if he got into a fight with a local and hurt or killed a guy or even accidently hurt someone with his SUV. They drive inches from people on very narrow roads.
He said the first thing he would would do is go to the nearest airport and board the next flight out of the country going anywhere. Then from the other country he would call his lawyer and wait until the lawyer got it all worked out then come home.
He says the people that do that have no problem. They have a short vacation. The people that stay, end up in a local jail which is not good.
He has to exercise a great deal of self control when the police hassle him as they do on occasion. The police see it as their right and duty to shake down foreigners because of their low pay.

I got to visit a lot of small towns and what amazed me was not how bad it was but how much better it was than I expected. There was no discernible electric code even in public places, bare wires all over the place. They used a lot of concrete and seem to use sufficient reinforcing rod. But things were reasonably clean even though you had to buy toilet paper for a couple cents from a lady guarding the public toilets. They had no discernible police force but we were not hassled by beggars.

Guns were visible everywhere. Every store had a guy outside with a gun much like the picture above. I talked to a small shopkeeper and his body guard for an hour or two. It is a mark of prestige to have a body guard. Sort of like driving a 60,000 plus SUV displays a certain life style in Connecticut.
My daughter while a teenager living home used to go on rants about how she hated Guilford and wanted to get out of CT because everyone drove a monster truck and had two and a half perfect blond white blue eyed children and a big dog. So now she is teaching in Guatemala city. Be careful what your kids wish for.:)

While on break she and two teacher girlfriends visited lake atitlan. This lake is huge and beautiful and many villages are best reached by boat. The launches are in perfect condition and make the launches at the Sachems Head yacht club in Guilford look like junk. I even learned a cool way to siphon gas without getting gas in your mouth.
One thing they don't have however is navigation lights. These young men zoom these launches all over the lake in pitch dark.
The three women were in the middle of the lake, pitch dark and the three guys running the boat were acting a little off. Then they "run out of gas".

My daughter, gym in her building tone, blond, blue eyes, inches taller than any of the boys picked up the leader through him into the bottom of the boat jumped on top of him, put her hand in a particular place and in perfect Spanish explained to the gentleman that his ability to have children in the future was completely depending on his buddies finding gas in about three seconds.
They found the spare gas can.
After the fact she was a little embarrassed that she over reacted as the guys were probably just trying to get another five bucks. I suspect they were more traumatized than the girls.

In short it seems safe enough, at least that is what I have to tell myself, but it is different.
Again on a boat on the coast may be completely different.

In short it was different, very different with apparently different rules. But not necessarily bad.

Reactions: wind_magic

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thank you those who give your choices of guns= along with your reason behind. I would consider your suggestions carefully against my own application in the future.

I have never developed a passion for guns although many of my closed friends and colleagues are with guns big time. I am neither for or against guns. However, I do always want to buy a few assault rifles before it becomes illegal to buy one. I will learn to use them properly and then into the storage. It is a matter of time these guns will be banned, I would like to have them legally now and pass onto my children and their children. I want them to have the experience of owning and shooting these guns.

Fast forward to my future cruising needs. After sailing at nite in the Bay of Honduras and the local knowledge of the boat owner's, I never feel so strongly about owning an assault rifle. I am not really worry about once when I am in the host country, I would rely on the authority and my choices mooring to be safe.

I am worried those time I need to cross international water. Being on a sailboat in open water, we are the sitting duck. Of course I will only carry guns on "my own" boat. When crewing, I expect the owner will have their own protection. Besides, it must be a logistic nightmare to carry guns traveling on planes.

I have not worked out the logistic yet, and there are enough time for me to map out my plan. I intend to declare my guns to the host country and surrender upon entry. If I decide to becoming a resident, I would apply for the gun permit if available.

Just curious - with all the recent security issues in Guatemala and Honduras, what is the appeal for you to be cruising those waters? I'm glad I made it there when I did, but I won't be going back... It's nice, but it's not THAT nice, or that much nicer than a whole lot of the rest of the Caribbean basin...

Perhaps it's just me, but one of my basic rules of thumb re cruising destinations is: If you think you need a gun to be safe there, I'd think about looking at other possible destinations...
I hear you loud and clear as well as from my own voice in my head. Thing is not so simple when your whole life is to push the limits in the academic achievement, career advancement, family pride and hobbies/toys in general. May be it is my way to keep myself young and alert.

The trip to Placencia was my fact finding visit. With the skipper's local knowledge, I gained much clearer view in Belize. There are lots of business opportunity there. The property value is still low. For the rest of caribbean, you can't touch anything less than a few millions. Besides, I don't feel unsafe in Placencia or in the water around there. I don't feel I need guns for protection. It is a good alternative for Americans to retire there.

I have a few years to go, or at least wait until my daughter finishes her Med school. So we still have $300K tuition to pay and we will be done for good.:( so we only hope :)

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Rock,

An "assault" rifle or gun is just basically a semi-automatic rifle with a large capacity magazine. In military use they can be operated in full automatic (machine gun) mode.
Other than capacity they do the same thing as a semi-automatic hunting rifle or shotgun,
which are generally limited to about 5 rounds, which when properly placed should do the job in close quarters.

My point is that "assault" rifles carry a huge, unearned stigma of being bad. Seem like just owning one makes you a bad guy. If you had to shoot someone with a standard "hunting" rifle in self defense it is my opinion you might have a far better chance with the judicial system than if you used an "assault" rifle. End result is the same, a dead bad guy instead of a dead you, with you fighting to stay out of jail

Paul T

·
You really are funny!!
4,781 Posts
If you're wanting to pick up a few AR's or AK's, better be prepared for the sticker shock related to the panic buying now in progress.

I went to the York PA gun show yesterday, and what was a $700 AK two weeks ago is now an $1800 AK today. What was an $80 drum mag two weeks ago is now $200.

It's just going to go up from here, buy quickly if you're seriously going to buy. Don't forget to check out the SKS I mentioned in my previous post. 10 round fixed mag (what appears the new maximum will be), 7.62x39 (same as an AK), and a certain coolness factor not found in other rifles. They have a cult following and are still very cheap but probably won't be once the ban hits.

Best of luck! :)

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
End result is the same, a dead bad guy instead of a dead you, with you fighting to stay out of jail

Paul T
Yes, that can happen. :)

In my naive way of thinking, this is the way I will use my bad ass rifle. I am sailing single handed in a calm sea in a moonless nite in international water near Honduras and Belize. A motor raft with no navigational light approaching me as I pick up their image on radar. I will turn on my deck light and use a loud speaker to warn them not to get any closer. IT this fails, I will turn off all my lights and spray 10 or 20 warning shots to show them the firing power I have. And Pray...... :)

I can't even shoot the rabbits that eating in our garden, I doubt I can shoot a human. But in the big freaking ocean, I need to have some options. :)

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Don't forget to check out the SKS I mentioned in my previous post. 10 round fixed mag (what appears the new maximum will be), 7.62x39 (same as an AK), and a certain coolness factor not found in other rifles. They have a cult following and are still very cheap but probably won't be once the ban hits.

Best of luck! :)
Can SKS mag hold more than 10 round?

·
You really are funny!!
4,781 Posts
No, it's a built in magazine - BUT.. it uses what's called a "clip" (the real definition of a clip), and the way it works is you pre load 10 rounds into your stripper clips, and when you need to reload you simply put the stripper clip into it's spot, push down on the rounds and viola! You're re-loaded. It's very fast once you get used to it.

Google "loading SKS with stripper clips" and some good links will pop up. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
-------
An SKS can be modified to hold an AK mag. Some were/are sold with AK mags. I had a smith modify mine. It takes some machining and, in my opinion, isn't worth the work or expense. As mentioned, clips with 10 rounds are easy to use and I believe the fixed mag is more reliable than a removable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm curious about the scenario in which you open fire on an approaching vessel at the range an assault rifle is used for. If you don't plan on using a rifle at long range, you're using the wrong weapon. If you do plan on using a rifle at long range, you're blurring the line between "self defense" and "pre-emptive attack."

I would stick to a shotgun or handgun if I really felt that I must carry a firearm at all.
--------
The way I see it, you may as well use a cap gun (or poppers?) if you're shooting at an approaching vessel at sea. Short of using a projectile guidance system, you don't have much chance of hitting anything other than sky or water.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, a shotgun makes a big flash and loud bang. That deterrent is what I think your best defense will be at a distance. I like the versatility of a shotgun. Slugs can be accurate and effective at 100 yds and beyond and the selection of cartridges between magnum slugs and birdshot (even rock salt) is extensive. Shot guns can also be used to launch flares and are more acceptable by customs in foreign ports than, say, a mac-10.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Originally Posted by JonEisberg
Just curious - with all the recent security issues in Guatemala and Honduras, what is the appeal for you to be cruising those waters? I'm glad I made it there when I did, but I won't be going back... It's nice, but it's not THAT nice, or that much nicer than a whole lot of the rest of the Caribbean basin...
What destinations are your current favorites and why?
Down south, the Bahamas still tops my list...

I like to get away from it all, and really enjoy the remoteness that much of the out islands of the Bahamas afford. As much as I might enjoy a bit of hanging out with other cruisers in places like Lauderdale, Miami Beach, or Georgetown, in general when I get into the islands I'm trying to distance myself from the pack...

I don't care much for places where there's a lot of charter boats, they're always very expensive and crowded... That rules out a lot of the E Caribbean, of course... When I get my own boat down there someday, I'll be heading for places like Anegada, or Barbuda, maybe the windward side of Martinique, away from the crowds...

Cuba is another wonderful place, I'm glad I did it when I did... I'd love to explore the south of Cuba someday, but that will depend a bit on politics, of course...

Truth be told, I'm more of a cold-water cruiser, the parts of the world that interest me the most are towards the higher latitudes, rather than the tropics... Far less crowded, and MUCH safer.. I love Atlantic Canada, hoping to get back up there this summer...

But, I doubt I'll live long enough to ever grow tired of the Bahamas... Easily reachable for me from NJ in a couple of weeks, makes for the perfect winter sabbatical...

This is Flamingo Bay, north side of Rum Cay... I had this spot completely to myself for 3 days, a few winters ago, never saw another soul...

·
11,853 Posts
Oh come on ...

That's so intellectually dishonest that I can't believe you even bothered to post it.

Population of London 8 million
Population of Canada 35 million
Population of U.S. 300 million

That's why we use per capita rates, to compare apples to apples

London - 1.9
Canada - 1.6
U.K. - 1.2
U.S. - 4.2

I'm not saying that's anything to be proud of either, but if there's going to be a debate, debate honestly.
There is nothing intellectually dishonest about the facts I presented. I see even you could do the divison to figure out what it meant per capita. I figured even an idiot could do that, but thank you for doing it for me anyway:):).

The figures are daming no matter how you present it, Try this one on maybe you can find some fault in this too

28 people die on the average from homicide by guns every day in the US
49 people commit suicide by guns every day. ( Go ahead let me know the per capita rate- who cares)

Tell you what lets see what professionals say abot this instead of amateurs like you and I. We dont have to use my figures or your whitewashed ones which dont take into account infants and those under 18 who couldnt own a gun anyway

Homicide, suicide, and unintentional firearm fatality: comparing the United States with other high-income countries, 2003.

Richardson EG, Hemenway D.

Source

Department of Health Services, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, California 90095-1772, USA. [email protected]

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Violent death is a major public health problem in the United States and throughout the world.

METHODS:

A cross-sectional analysis of the World Health Organization Mortality Database analyzes homicides and suicides (both disaggregated as firearm related and non-firearm related) and unintentional and undetermined firearm deaths from 23 populous high-income Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development countries that provided data to the World Health Organization for 2003.

RESULTS:

The US homicide rates were 6.9 times higher than rates in the other high-income countries, driven by firearm homicide rates that were 19.5 times higher. For 15-year olds to 24-year olds, firearm homicide rates in the United States were 42.7 times higher than in the other countries. For US males, firearm homicide rates were 22.0 times higher, and for US females, firearm homicide rates were 11.4 times higher. The US firearm suicide rates were 5.8 times higher than in the other countries, though overall suicide rates were 30% lower. The US unintentional firearm deaths were 5.2 times higher than in the other countries. Among these 23 countries, 80% of all firearm deaths occurred in the United States, 86% of women killed by firearms were US women, and 87% of all children aged 0 to 14 killed by firearms were US children.
CONCLUSIONS:

The United States has far higher rates of firearm deaths-firearm homicides, firearm suicides, and unintentional firearm deaths compared with other high-income countries. The US overall suicide rate is not out of line with these countries, but the United States is an outlier in terms of our overall homicide rate.
Homicide, suicide, and unintentional firearm fatali... [J Trauma. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

dave

·
Registered
698 Posts
This is Flamingo Bay, north side of Rum Cay... I had this spot completely to myself for 3 days, a few winters ago, never saw another soul...
That would be cool to go ashore with your assault rifle and a couple thousand rounds of ammunition. You could bust up a lot of stuff in three days.

·
11,853 Posts
That would be cool to go ashore with your assault rifle and a couple thousand rounds of ammunition. You could bust up a lot of stuff in three days.
That is of course unless they were waiting for him....:)

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
--------
The way I see it, you may as well use a cap gun (or poppers?) if you're shooting at an approaching vessel at sea. Short of using a projectile guidance system, you don't have much chance of hitting anything other than sky or water.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, a shotgun makes a big flash and loud bang. That deterrent is what I think your best defense will be at a distance. I like the versatility of a shotgun. Slugs can be accurate and effective at 100 yds and beyond and the selection of cartridges between magnum slugs and birdshot (even rock salt) is extensive. Shot guns can also be used to launch flares and are more acceptable by customs in foreign ports than, say, a mac-10.
Totally agree, a couple of rifled slug shots from a shotgun would no doubt get their attention. One could fire slugs first followed up by 00 buckshot. Contrary to what may be a common perception, a shotgun, even with a fairly "open" choke will only have a pattern of about 10 inches at about 20 feet, they don't "spray" a big area, especially with 00 buckshot. You can miss, even at close range, but I think would be better than a single round from a rifle.

Again, I think the "perception" of an assault rifle, because of its appearance,
is far worse than a shotgun, which will get the job done. The judges "perception" may be the difference between rotting in some foreign jail or going free.

Paul T

·
Registered
206 Posts
A pump action shotgun seems to be the best for onboard, but up here on the northwest coast, a .357 is easy to carry and offers a lot of comfort when taking the dingy ashore to explore some of the world's most amazing natural beauty.

FM
You cant be serious. Its not that easy to get a concealed weapon carry permit in Canada and the law does not allow you to do as you suggest and take your handgun sailing without that permit even if you have a restricted weapons permit. If you are to scared to explore the mostly deserted beaches and anchorages in BC waters without a handgun you should really find a new hobby. Having sailed these waters for 20 years I have never felt threatened even when 30 yards from a Grizzly feeding on the beach. And yes I do own guns

·
Registered
22 Posts
You cant be serious. Its not that easy to get a concealed weapon carry permit in Canada and the law does not allow you to do as you suggest and take your handgun sailing without that permit even if you have a restricted weapons permit. If you are to scared to explore the mostly deserted beaches and anchorages in BC waters without a handgun you should really find a new hobby. Having sailed these waters for 20 years I have never felt threatened even when 30 yards from a Grizzly feeding on the beach. And yes I do own guns
-------
Yes, I can be serious. Whether getting a carry permit is easy or not might depend on the individual. I had no trouble getting one and have had a permit for many years. Do your research.

·
Yarr!
39 Posts
It is my life and my money; it is my decision. :)
I have looked at the same issue and still am out on the decision to carry. With great power comes great responsibility and a decision to take someone's life is a sorrowful and dreadful thing to consider. Unfortunately people do prey on others. That said i will share what I've decided is a decent l ine of defense.

My solution is a Mossberg 500 Mariner JIC or "Just in Case" Version. Modify a similar airtight cylinder that can be secured, loaded only with padding, ammo and your rifle. Install an ammo side-rail and Blackhawk Breechers Grip to reduce recoil.

Load with progressing bean bags for an interior confrontation, up to a managed recoil buck shot just in case the beanbags didn't do the trick. The rail is loaded with a variety i still haven't configured.

For an oncoming boat that is a genuine threat: Flares overhead first. Most will turn right away leaving the rest only for the truly determined.

Next load are what are called Varmint rounds designed for livestock protection. They send a nice POP aimed overhead at a prescribed distance of 1000-100 yds. If that doesn't get their attention incendiary rounds are carefully loaded for when they pull alongside, followed by slugs to sink the vessel.

Either that or i'll just pour another glass of beer and leave the gun at home so i don't have to worry about death. Decisions...

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
-------
Yes, I can be serious. Whether getting a carry permit is easy or not might depend on the individual. I had no trouble getting one and have had a permit for many years. Do your research.
I am assuming that your sail in Puget Sound, the San Juans, Gateway Islands and nothing further north.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
In my naive way of thinking, this is the way I will use my bad ass rifle. I am sailing single handed in a calm sea in a moonless nite in international water near Honduras and Belize. A motor raft with no navigational light approaching me as I pick up their image on radar. I will turn on my deck light and use a loud speaker to warn them not to get any closer. IT this fails, I will turn off all my lights and spray 10 or 20 warning shots to show them the firing power I have. And Pray...... :)
Hmmm, sounds like you have a vivid imagination...

Don't forget to to stick a handheld GPS in the microwave, in the far more likely event that your boat will be struck by lightning... (grin)

I doubt I can shoot a human. But in the big freaking ocean, I need to have some options. :)
Seriously, if you have any doubt about your ability to use a gun in anger against another human if the need arises, you have no business carrying one, you'll likely only present a greater danger to yourself, or your crew...

·
Registered
214 Posts
You might want to cool at least some of those jets. I've seen no "hate those bloody Americans" posts. I saw one where Mark specifically pointed out just one aspect of America he doesn't like. He even said it was one of few things that belittle us. Hardly condemning everything American or hating us.
Mark used the phrase "you crazy Americans" in his post and I stands by my statement. While not at sea I live in Fort Lauderdale and I hear a lot of tourists, especeially Aussies and Brits, complain ceaselessly about my country and her people. I don't especially need to hear "auch ya fookin Americans youre all so fookin raaacist" or "crazy American bYaaaastads" here.

There are plenty of anti-American forums out there, the UN for example, for these clowns to disparage my culture and traditions.

Back to the subject: 12 ga. Pump shotgun and stainless revolver.

41 - 60 of 173 Posts