SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive considered cruising the Bahamas without a boat. This comes out of my experiences getting home from leaving my boat in weird places. The Bahamas has both a ferry system and a mail boat system. The mail boats lack amenities and you may end up sleeping in a corner on deck but thats just part of the fun (i'm now 65 so am not real sure i'm still willing to sleep on a hard deck). With a combo of mail boats, ferries and hitchhiking one can get around.
The problem is where to stay when you get there. With your own boat you stay aboard it but not having a boat maybe camping could work. I never tried camping in the Bahamas. I've found there are VRBO all over the Abacoes and probably all over the Bahamas but they are expensive with a minimum length stay. Cost of a VRBO could be compared to the costs of owning and keeping a boat and I bet one could do a VRBO for many nights for less than boat ownership

·
Master Mariner
9,285 Posts
Ive considered cruising the Bahamas without a boat. This comes out of my experiences getting home from leaving my boat in weird places. The Bahamas has both a ferry system and a mail boat system. The mail boats lack amenities and you may end up sleeping in a corner on deck but thats just part of the fun (i'm now 65 so am not real sure i'm still willing to sleep on a hard deck). With a combo of mail boats, ferries and hitchhiking one can get around.
The problem is where to stay when you get there. With your own boat you stay aboard it but not having a boat maybe camping could work. I never tried camping in the Bahamas. I've found there are VRBO all over the Abacoes and probably all over the Bahamas but they are expensive with a minimum length stay. Cost of a VRBO could be compared to the costs of owning and keeping a boat and I bet one could do a VRBO for many nights for less than boat ownership
By the time I had reached 65 I needed a queen center line berth and all the mod cons, but I began my boating career at 12. No more decks for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts